In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Arisaka Type 99 Anti Aircraft Sight

goosemillergoosemiller Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited February 2018 in Ask the Experts
I bought a bunch of junk and while going thru it I came across this sight. Arisaka Type 99 Anti Aircraft sight from the research I have found so far. My question is: this sight has elevation marks to 1700 meters while the pics of all the others I have found only go to 1500. Is this because of the date of manufacture of the rifle or is it something special? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2EkEsvwARE

added
    So looking around on ebay there is a shorter window one that is marked to 1500 at the top. Seems that your larger window is marked to 1700 instead of the more normal 1500 with lots of room at the top.

I'm guessing your's is an early version when they were really optimistic about engaging airplanes. Then later to save ammo they shorted the range. Followed by shortening the sight to save metal. Then they saved even more by eliminating the option.

I'd look to see if there is a Arisaka specific collector group. When I was 10 I could have bought a mint condition pair with the mums for $5 each, 6.5 and 7.7- Dad wouldn't let. I have my uncle's bring back 6.5 no mum. It doesn't look all that great, however it will clip weeds as far as he could see or so the story goes. His 'weasel rifle' because you could run a weasel rifle down the bore, a 11 something went missing after his death. The 8mm Murata might be with my nephew. I made ammo for it but never shot it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, I have watched that video but it also remarks about the 1500 meters instead of the 1700 mine is marked.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    The only one with a 1700 meter sight was an early Series 35 Type 99 Long made at Toyo Kogyo, Hiroshima Prefecture under Kokura supervision.

The long 99's from Nagoya had 1500 meter sights.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the interesting info.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a one time collector, TRY getting all the versions of the long and carbine version,,makes the head spin.[:0]