In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

flush swivels

wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in Ask the Experts
Recently purchase a Browning 1885 that has the flush/recessed swivels. I believe I am going to like these. When the sling is removed it's a nice clean, smooth look on the rifle and when installed they seem to snap in place tightly. Has anyone had any experience with these and how do they do when carrying a rifle on your shoulder all day? I would hate to see the 1885 hit the ground.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.browning.com/content/dam/browning/support/owners-manuals/1885manual.pdf

Not sure exactly what you have. There are several aftermarket designs for flush swivels. Quality of materials and installation likely determine field durability. Almost every long gun I own has a sling. At the gun store I have seen some of the flush stuff, never impressed enough for me to want to change over.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe you have the "push & twist" type. I have a Browning BBR with that type. I haven't carried it enough to know how secure they are but they seem like they would be good. They are a bit awkward to attach/detach but that's not usually a hurry-up process anyway.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I installed a set of Herter's flush swivels on my sporterized Jap rifle and hunted with it for twenty years. They worked well and never a problem with them. They were a push-pin design that pushed a pin into a groove in the receiver socket.
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is correct Ambrose, it is a push and twist type that came standard from the factory on the first 1885's.
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a Steyr SBS with flush sling mounts. I think they're a good idea. I like the "push and twist" release. The thing is, on one of mine, the fore-end, it's collapsed inside. It's loose like there's no back pressure on whatever bears against the sling mount. I figure there's a small plate of sorts with a spring under it and that spring has worked its way up around that small plate allowing reduced pressure and slop.