In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester model 64 carbine

44mutley44mutley Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
edited March 2018 in Ask the Experts
picked up a model 64 carbine, standard 30 wcf that sereal number puts it in the late 40's,condition wise i guess it would be called a shooter, the upper tang of receiver is not marked winchester or anything at all and no screw holes, i had it in my mind that all older winchester lever guns had the tangs marked, maybe im wrong, any help would be appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At some point, after WWII, Winchester tangs were un-marked..The 64's were offered up to 1957, so yours most likely falls into this group..I've heard/read about early plain tangs, but I don't think it's been confirmed that Winchester ever released any by choice..

Bert's done quite a bit of research on '94's (and 64's), and can probably provide the correct details, if you'll provide the full serial number..
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester stopped marking the upper tangs on the Model 64 (and the Model 94) on August 23rd, 1942 at serial number 1343183. That specific date and serial number was the last "pre-WW II" made, as Winchester temporarily halted production to support the WW II efforts at the end of that day. When Winchester resumed production of the Model 64 and Model 94 on September 28th, 1945, the upper tangs were blank.

The tang sight hole in the upper tang was eliminated in June 1942.

If you can provide me with the serial number on your Model 64, I can pin down a reasonably accurate date of manufacture. Based on my ongoing research survey for the Model 64, the 20-inch barreled variation (referred to as the Carbine) made up just over 16% of the total production (10,750 with a 20-inch barrel).