In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Extenable stock

GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in Ask the Experts
Is a wire extendable stock legal on a rifle with a 16 inch barrel?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think so as long as total length is at least 26 inches.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thinking of a ruger 10/22 with a tapco type stock, and extended wire stock like the M3 grease gun. Locks like 18 inch barrel would be over 26 inch limit, but not the 16 inch. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just measured a 10/22 from the chamber end of the barrel to the end of the receiver and came up with 5". 16+5=21 So it depends on how long the stock is when retracted I guess.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't see a wire stock for a 10-22, not that I looked all that hard.

My thought is depends on how much short you are. Perhaps modify the wire by welding a new stop so that it cannot retract enough to become to short. A sort of light weight recoil pad permanently attached to the rear of the wire.

I don't think its a real good idea to play with their rules, the dubious extra handiness of the 16" vs an 18" tube wouldn't be worth the risk IMHO.

500px-M3_Grease.jpg

added I'm not a big fan of hi powered bullpups but a 22 ought to be ok

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/rifle-stocks/ruger-10-22-muzzlelite-stock-bullpup-composite-blk-sku556100102-8736-21156.aspx?rrec=true
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a bit of a can of worms.

First of all, if the overall length with the stock retracted is 26 inches or more, this would be legal under Federal law. It would be legal in MOST States, but a few either don't permit folding/collapsible stocks at all, and/or require OAL of 30" or more. . . .so it might not be.

Check your STATE law.

Next, federal rulings say that OAL has to be 26" or more with the stock extended. So long as a. you're dealing with an actual rifle and b. the stock isn't easily detachable, then said rifle is OK by FEDERAL law if the gun itself is otherwise legal and the OAL is under 26" when the stock is retracted.

There are legal folding AK variants where the OAL is slightly under 26" when folded, for example. Also M1 paratrooper models where the collapsed stock OAL is just under 26", also legal.

Again, this is NOT the case for many States, which require 26" or more even when folded/collapsed.

On 10-22 wire stock, Butler creeks makes a FOLDABLE (not retractable) wire stock. Its legal:

Butler-Creek-10-22-Stainless-Steel-Folding-Rifle-Stock-L12970219.jpg

M1 carbine paratrooper knockoff (also foldable):
    http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/m1a1-stock-for-ruger-10-22.aspx
    M1A1StockforRuger10222STK380.JPG

I've never seen an off-the-shelf collapsible wire stock for a 10-22, but there are different ways you can get there. EG, this is a Nordic components AR22 conversion (about $250) with some sort of collapsible ar15 compatible wire stock on there.

840c4ce82ec9c4618ad80dd81f4cca3e.jpg
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 18" barrel 10-22 is legal with a BC(?) folding stock but a wire stock w/16" would seem to be marginal(I don't have one to measure for sure).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wanted to use in a back while hiking. Seemed like a good idea. imo.
    Thanks to all for the input.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have you considered the take down models.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carried my folding stock 10-22 on the ATV rack and on a sling. Carried slung, there's nothing to snag or get in the way while doing chores , fence repair, fishing, or simply bopping around. Can be used at very short range still folded or takes 1-2 seconds to unfold/lock.