In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun identification

emsfireemsfire Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in Ask the Experts
I bought a semi automatic rifle with a folding stock. The stock and forearm are synthetic. It is made in China and the only details on the gun are "W.I.C. Birm. AL". Also, "patent pending" is stamped on the synthetic stock.

I believe it resembles a Norinco but since there are no markings it may be a knock-off???

Can anyone give me more information on what it might be? It is listed on GunBroker with pictures under "Jackal1953".

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=542449127

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hello All,

Can anyone id this gun? We know it is a 38 rim fire. We are interested in knowing some history behind it and value.

Thank you!

http://s1292.beta.photobucket.com/user/jbecraft/library/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have yet to learn how to upload pictures here so here?s my best description. Receiver is marked ?Fabrique Nationale Herstal-Liege? no other markings besides the serial number. Curved bolt handle, sights are reminiscent of the Yugo M24. 7MM Mauser caliber. Sporterized stock, rifle is about carbine length. Anddd go.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently purchased a small revolver and I need assistance identifying the gun.
    The seller identified the gun as a WWI German Officer's Pocket Pistol .32cal double action, but I can't find anything in gun books or on the web that match that description. The gun has some very distinct features: there is no trigger guard and the trigger folds down from the frame to fire the gun, on the left side of the gun there is a safety latch that rotates 180 degrees forward & backwards.
    The grips are two piece wood with a diamond pattern & some of the markings on the gun are: on the left side of the frame "Kal.320", on the right side of the frame there is an eagle with an "N" under it. On the butt of the gun there is a serial # and manufacturer's name or logo in a circle. Some of the letters in the manufacturer's name or logo are no longer legible. On the top part of the circle the letters that are legible are "NEKE &" and of the bottom part of the circle "EHLIS"
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    South American Mauser.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You've heard the old saying "One Aw S**t wipes out a thousand Attaboys"?

Well, "sporterized" wipes out collector interest and most of the resale value of a military surplus rifle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    You've heard the old saying "One Aw S**t wipes out a thousand Attaboys"?

Well, "sporterized" wipes out collector interest and most of the resale value of a military surplus rifle.

When I say sporterized I?m using that term lightly. It?s not the original stock. No other alterations have been made. It would take a new stock to get it back to the orginal look. For $95 dollars I?m looking at buying it just as a project to get it back to original mil surp look.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by emsfire

When I say sporterized I?m using that term lightly. It?s not the original stock. No other alterations have been made. It would take a new stock to get it back to the orginal look. For $95 dollars I?m looking at buying it just as a project to get it back to original mil surp look.

Make sure you measure the length of the receiver. Before buying a replacement stock. FN made two lengths. The 1924's were a intermediate length, 8.5" long. The later FN models, were a 1/4 inch longer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After some more digging I more than 90% sure that the rifle is a Uruguayan FN 1893. Only thing I?m wondering now is about a stock. Think I can get the stock off of a Spanish version to make it fit this model? What about the stock from a Yugo M24?
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An 1893 is a small ring action, I am pretty sure an M24 is large.
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If indeed a Uru 93, any small ring stock should fit/function.
    Carse is correct: the M24 is large ring, but an intermediate length action (requires the proper stock).
    Be advised that a couple models of Spanish Mausers sported small rings, so there's hope.
    After some more digging I more than 90% sure that the rifle is a Uruguayan FN 1893. Only thing I?m wondering now is about a stock. Think I can get the stock off of a Spanish version to make it fit this model? What about the stock from a Yugo M24?
    Originally posted by Hawk Carse
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by b0400879
    If indeed a Uru 93, any small ring stock should fit/function.
    Carse is correct: the M24 is large ring, but an intermediate length action (requires the proper stock).
    Be advised that a couple models of Spanish Mausers sported small rings, so there's hope.
    Originally posted by Hawk Carse

According to "Mauser Military Rifles of the World". There is no such thing as a Uruguayan Model 1893. There is a 1895, but it has no receiver markings.

The chamber marking on the receiver, "Fabrique Nationale" over "Herstal Liege". Is the FN commercial address crest.

To get the right stock, you would first have to figure out what model Mauser it is. Description of bolt and serial, number might help in this matter. The early 7 mm Mausers that went to Spain and South America, were different then the latter ones, in this regard.