In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W 357 Mag

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited March 2018 in Ask the Experts
serial # 70,xxx

What era would this firearm be in? What would its approx. value be? It also says markas registradas on one side. thanks

IMG_0209.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    As we all know from time to time in collecting guns we run across something we know nothing about and need help. In looking at a collection I came across a Smith and Wesson model t-19-4. It is in a very nice wooden box with a cleaning rod and brush never been fired 357 caliber. It has more engraving than I have ever seen on a pistol, not a space on it that is not engraved . The left side of the barrel just said in plain English S&W 357 Magnum and on the right side of the barrel it is engraved with S&W 357 Magnum. No name, like a presentation gun on it any place. it appears to be nickel plated. I have tried to post pictures on this site but just can not get it to work. I did see where pictures were sent to a very large auction house and they estimated the value to be between 2,500 and 3,500. I have purchased a very nice 1886 from these folks and they are trying to sell rather than send anything to the auction house if they can sell it outright.
    I seen one on the internet at another auction house and it appears to have the same engraving as this one does and exactly the same box.
    Can anybody tell me if S&W had special addition pistols that where heavily engraved. In a presentation box?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was told that I could fire a 38 special bullets in a 357 mag. Isn't the 38 mean .380 bore? Is this true or was he trying to blow sunshine up you know where.[?]

The only fences we need to worry about are those we put in our minds
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a S&W Model 19-4 357 Mag with a 6" barrel. Can I shoot 38spl ammo in it without damaging the gun. Thanks.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen estimates from "auction houses" that were way off, in one direction or the other. If you don't mind doing the research, the GB site will net the seller substantially more, in my opinion. But, you didn't give us a lot of clues to begin with (like, serial number from the bottom of the grip frame, "N" stamped in 3 places, or the barrel length).

If you have the photos on your computer, you can start a GB sale listing with a start date in the future; upload your photos to the listing, & provide us with a link to the auction. You can always cancel the auction before it starts.

All I can tell you for sure is that the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson shows the gun as a ".357 Combat Magnum", & the -4 was made 1977-1982. There have been many special editions & commemoratives, but lack of a name or event could indicate a special order gun with the standard accessory wood case. Or, it could have been a blued gun that some collector had engraved by the local trophy shop & had plated.

I don't know if you can get information from S&W, but a factory letter indicating that they did the work is worth A BIG DIFFERENCE IN VALUE.

Neal

EDIT: You need to get a factory letter, even though it may seem expensive:
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm-history-request
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call S&W, to see if it was factory done. If it was, you can get a letter stating that, and it will definitely increase the value of the gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The barrel is 4 inches thus the t-19-4 the serial number is 35K7095. I will try and contact S&W.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did check with S&W. The gun was highly engraved from the factory and came with the presentation box. It was made in the early 70's and they would not give a price but he said unfired that price would not be unreasonable.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a letter , could be likely, 2500,,good luck.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    Early 70s production? With a 35K-prefix serial number?

I doubt that, and would insist on a letter.

I have a model 66, bought new in 1975, and the serial number on it is 4K65013.

The -4 after the model number is not an indication of barrel length. It indicates that the fourth change in the model since its introduction. Someone with more reference material than I have can tell you when the -4 came to be, and when it was replaced by the -5.

Is the barrel pinned? Are the chambers recessed? Those features can help to date the gun as well.

How about a picture? Can you post one?
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    19-4 was made 1977 to 1982 last of the pinned barrels and recessed cylinders