In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

C&R Eligible?

emsfireemsfire Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in Ask the Experts
Is a pre-war FN 1922 model C&R eligible? I think so, but the old lisyt on the ATF site that I use to be able to find, is not longer there.

I also tried to call there 1800 & 1888 numbers, but they must not be open on the weekend.

EDIT:
Thanks all for the input. Dogtown, I appreciate the link....not sure why I did not find it myself though.

Thanks,

Aaron

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Is a 1950 Remington 721 C&R eligible?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How do I find out if a rifle is C&R eligible? A MAS 36/51 particularly. What?s really the difference between FFL and C&R?
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Here is the full list of Curio and Relic firearms, which includes an explanation of what qualifies a firearm to be a Curio and Relic:

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/p-5300-11-firearms-curios-or-relics-listpdf-0/download

To be recognized as C&R items, 478.11 specifies that firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

1.Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;

2.Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and

3.Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF's C&R list. Therefore, ATF does not generally list firearms in the C&R publication by virtue of their age. However, if you wish for a classification of your particular firearm under categories (b) or (c) above and wish your item to be listed, you may submit the weapon to the Firearms and Ammunition Technology Division (FATD) for a formal classification.

Since all MAS 36 Rifles are older than 50 years of age, they automatically qualify as C&R so long as they remain in their original military configuration.

There are a variety of FFL's, the two most common being Type 01, which is a dealer in firearms other than Destructive devices, and a Type 03, which is a Collector of Curio and Relics. A dealer may deal in firearms of any type (excepting Destructive Devices which carry a separate license), while a collector is just that...a collector of firearms classified as Curio and Relics. A collector may not deal in firearms, he is merely a collector who acquires and disposes of Curio and Relics as a means of enhancing his personal collection. Crossing into what might be considered acting as a dealer is the cause for 99% of the problems collectors face with the BATF.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    "the difference between FFL and C&R?" they are both 'FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSES'. there are several 'types' of ffl (01,02,03 ect.) they vary on 'what' you can buy or do with each. the 03 (C&R) is for 'collectors' and applies to any firearm over 50 years old OR on a special 'list' at the ATF. and yes the MAS 36/51 is ok for a C&R purchase.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please be advised. Some extremely cautious folks, for various reasons. Won't sell or ship a C & R firearm. To a C & R licensee. They will only ship, to a 01 firearms dealer.

Getting angry at these folks. Doesn't do you any good. They are selling their personal property. And can set any terms they want, on the transaction.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Please be advised. Some extremely cautious folks, for various reasons. Won't sell or ship a C & R firearm. To a C & R licensee. They will only ship, to a 01 firearms dealer.

Getting angry at these folks. Doesn't do you any good. They are selling their personal property. And can set any terms they want, on the transaction.

Yep a second here, and there are many such sellers here on GB.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But....will GB allow a dealer to be on their FFL Dealer Network if he refuses to accept shipment from a C&R licensee or a non-licensee?

Neal
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF's C&R list. Therefore, ATF does not generally list firearms in the C&R publication by virtue of their
    Since all MAS 36 Rifles are older than 50 years of age, they automatically qualify as C&R so long as they remain in their original military configuration.

So does that mean my sporterized 1896 Krag is not c&r?
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled

Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF's C&R list. Therefore, ATF does not generally list firearms in the C&R publication by virtue of their

Your Krag is a Pre-1899 antique, not C&R.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115

I will disagree. Because the "sporterized" happened at some time after 1899, it becomes a firearm. And, because it is not in its original configuration, it is not C&R eligible.

Added: Not that I disagree with you in that it IS pre-1899 and should be antique. It's that I've physically seen the ATF interpret it that way.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115

I will disagree. Because the "sporterized" happened at some time after 1899, it becomes a firearm. And, because it is not in its original configuration, it is not C&R eligible.

Added: Not that I disagree with you in that it IS pre-1899 and should be antique. It's that I've physically seen the ATF interpret it that way.

I've seen literally hundreds of Springfield "Trapdoor" rifles cut down into carbines. Are you saying they are no longer antiques, either?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are asking if the gubernment makes sense, understands and enforces its rules correctly and fairly; well i have a bridge for sale in...
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior

There is No legal requirement for an "Antique" to remain in its original configuration to remain an Antique. That caveat only applies to military firearms that would otherwise be classified as a C&R. Antique is always Antique unless you turn it into a Machine Gun.