In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FFL shipping question

RustyjackRustyjack Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
edited March 2018 in Ask the Experts
hello, wandering if someone could help. when shipping a gun to an ffl, do i need to sent it to the premisss address or the mailing address. since the mailing address is a p.o.box. thanks

Comments

• Options
    RustyjackRustyjack Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am shipping a rifle to an out of state FFL for transfer to a buyer. I hold a C&R FFL only. Am I required to receive a copy of the transferring dealer's FFL before shipping? The dealer has stated that by law he cannot forward me a copy. Is this correct? I have received FFL copies many times when purchasing guns.
    Thanks in advance for any responses.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before shipping ANY firearm to a dealer for transfer, be sure that the customer has verified with his dealer that he is willing to accept the gun from a non-licensee (that is, you). He doesn't have to. Most intelligent dealers will accept shipment from you if you tell them that you will include a photocopy of your drivers license & C&R license, which is more than enough to satisfy ATF.

You are not required to receive a copy of the transferring dealer's license, but you must KNOW that he is an FFL with a valid license. You do that by entering his FFL license number in ATF's EZ-Check, & print that out for your own protection.

There is no law that prevents a dealer from giving you a photocopy of his license. But, if not, he needs to give you his FFL number. Otherwise, you can't ship to him.

Neal
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Before shipping ANY firearm to a dealer for transfer, be sure that the customer has verified with his dealer that he is willing to accept the gun from a non-licensee (that is, you). He doesn't have to. Most intelligent dealers will accept shipment from you if you tell them that you will include a photocopy of your drivers license & C&R license, which is more than enough to satisfy ATF.

You are not required to receive a copy of the transferring dealer's license, but you must KNOW that he is an FFL with a valid license. You do that by entering his FFL license number in ATF's EZ-Check, & print that out for your own protection.

There is no law that prevents a dealer from giving you a photocopy of his license. But, if not, he needs to give you his FFL number. Otherwise, you can't ship to him.

Neal

Agreed. The FFL holder in question is just being an *.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have experienced quite a few FFL dealers who either A) Don't know the laws, or B) are just jerks. I believe many of them believe accepting a firearm for transfer to a GunBroker buyer is taking food from the mouths of their children, even though they charge a fee (and sometimes a rather hefty fee!). I sincerely hope that those FFL dealers who offer their services for transfers through GunBroker aren't in those categories...
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    YOU MUST SHIP TO THE ADDRESS ON THE FFL.

Anyone can say they are an FFL and give you a valid dealer name, but tell you to ship to such and such address. Do not do it.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The address you ship to can be the dealer's premises address or
    the mailing address. Both are on the ffl. Some dealers will
    not ship to a P. O. Box address but it is legal to do so.
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to be clearer: the FFL need only give you his address info and enough digits of his FFL number to verify using ex check. All will not be required
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rustyjack - be aware you can mail a rifle or shotgun. Sometimes local post office people are unhappy about it but you can do it. It takes a statement from you that the gun is legal, unloaded, the package contains no ammunition, and that you certify that the addressee is an FFL holder.

quote:Originally posted by Herschel
    The address you ship to can be the dealer's premises address or
    the mailing address. Both are on the ffl. Some dealers will
    not ship to a P. O. Box address but it is legal to do so.

I have to disagree with shipping to the mailing address. A pawn shop owner had his home listed as the mailing address and a non-licensee sent a handgun UPS ground to that address. Hilarity did not ensue.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Henry..."I have to disagree with shipping to the mailing address. A pawn shop owner had his home listed as the mailing address and a non-licensee sent a handgun UPS ground to that address. Hilarity did not ensue."

We have an FFL BTW... I have specifically asked the ATF that question. I was told it can legally be sent to the mailing address. I was always under the impression I it had to be premises also but they told me no either was OK.