In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester model 65

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited March 2018 in Ask the Experts
Could a model 65 be ordered for a receiver mount peep sight. I know some Winchesters were drilled later on but not sure about the model 65

Comments

• Options
    dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am going to list a winchester model 65 in 32-20, The gun would be 90% if it did not have receiver finish flaking, Two questions, is the flaking on the receiver common and would $2000.00 be out of line for a starting price. It also comes with a lyman receiver sight.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the "optional" rear sights offered for the Model 1894 were offered for the Model 65.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, the Model 65 is a variation of the Model 92.

The Model 65 could have been special ordered with a Lyman No. 56 receiver mounted peep sight, or a Redfield No. 70. In my ongoing research survey for the Model 65, I have verified (6) rifles that were factory equipped with a Lyman No. 56 receiver sight, and (2) with a Redfield No. 70. I briefly discussed this topic in the article that I wrote and published in "The WINCHESTER Collector" magazine (Winter 2016 edition) for the Model 65.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:First, the Model 65 is a variation of the Model 92.
    Yes Bert, I'm well aware of that. I was quoting Nick Stroebel on rear sight options for the Model 65.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    quote:First, the Model 65 is a variation of the Model 92.
    Yes Bert, I'm well aware of that. I was quoting Nick Stroebel on rear sight options for the Model 65.

To blanketly state that the rear sight options for the Model 94 and Model 65 are the same is not accurate. Stroebel did not adequately explain the sight interchangeability in his book. If you examine a Lyman sight catalog, it quickly becomes clear that very few sights are truly 100% interchangeable. Yes, the Model 92 and the Model 94 used the same "makes" of sights, but they are not "identical" sights. The specific sights were regulated for the specific cartridges and barrel lengths available in each model, and accordingly they are not truly "interchangeable". Some of the sights used for the Model 92 are correct for the Model 65, but not all of them.

This is a much more complicated topic than most people realize, and it is one of the primary reasons why shooters have historically struggled with sighting in their old rifles. How many times have you seen sights that have been physically altered/modified by past owners... filed or ground down blades, notches, elevators, etc. [?]
  • Options
    deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1