In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping a Rifle

chicoppeechicoppee Member Posts: 312 ✭✭
edited March 2018 in Ask the Experts
I know this subject has been "beaten to death" on this forum but I have the memory of a glow worm!!
Am I coreect in thinking that a private individual (NON-FFL holder) can ship a rifle to an out of state FFL after I recieve a copy of the dealers license?
Thanks in advance,
Ed

Ed Konopasek

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a house in two states and have Concealed Carry Permits in both states .
    I would need to travel through NJ or NY to go from one to the other.

Is it legal to ship a rifle via USPS to myself when I travel to the other house.

Hope y'all understand my question !
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can a Class 07 FFL recieve rifles like a Class 01 FFL?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do i need a FFL just to ship a rifle to A FFL
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Legal under federal law, state & local laws may vary. Address it to (yourself) in care of (Dad), or whomever. SIGNATURE REQUIRED. Some adult has to accept it.

Not recommended if your other house is IN NJ or NY.

Neal
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As usual, the gent up there ^^^ is correct. You may legally MAIL an unloaded rifle or shotgun by US Mail. Only a firearms dealer or manufacturer can mail a handgun. Some postal employees think you cannot. It is listed in the Domestic Mail Manual. C&P from Domestic Mail Manual:

12.2 Rifles and Shotguns
    [Revise renumbered 12.2 as follows:]
    Except under 12.1.1d and 12.1.2, unloaded rifles and shot?guns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing under 12.1.1d. The following conditions also apply:
    a. Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when sent within the same state of mailing. These items must bear a ?Return Service Requested? endorsement, and must be sent by Express Mail (?signature required? must be used at delivery) or Registered Mail, or must in?clude either insured mail service (for more than $200) requiring a signature at delivery.
    b. A shotgun or rifle owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner?s state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the state, where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:
    1. Be addressed to the owner.
    2. Include the ?in the care of? endorsement immedi?ately preceding the name of the applicable tem?porary custodian.
    3. Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.
    4. Be mailed using services described in 12.2a.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,085 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What do you do ride the bus or train or motorcycle? Since you mention "through" you're not flying because that's over. I suppose if you mail it you'll have to beat the USPS. That's not hard to do [:D].
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the clarification everyone.
    Great help!
    Much appreciated.