In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Keltec pmr 30 jamming

idaho cowboyidaho cowboy Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
edited April 2018 in Ask the Experts
As I gather these pistols have an inherent jamming / feed problem. I have two friends that have them and they both have these issues. Both have tried various makes of ammo, fallowed the manufactures recommendations as far as bullet weight and still can not fire 20 rounds without having either a jam caused by the empty shell not being extracted or by a feed problem. Quite often the feed issue is that the slide will not quite close on a new round. Has anyone else experienced these issues and if so did you get the problem resolved.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some designs aren't all that good. Same goes for actual production.

I would first examine the extractor. No burrs and no/min slop, proper angle and fit to the rim. Maybe a stronger spring. Polish the chamber. Make and use a cartridge checker gauge.

Polish the rails, use good lube. Clean and de-burr the inside of the magazine.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had one for going on 4 years now. Bought it new, for way over MSR. Because that was the only way, a peon could get his hands on one.

I anticipated trouble, so documented the round count over the first 3 years.

Quit at 2100+. Shoots everything. Even the stuff KelTec, says not to use.
    Very fussy accuracy wise, as far as ammo is concerned. Loves CCI 30 grain H-P's. Will Keyhole, with a lot of other ammo.

Wouldn't lock back, after the last shot from the mag. Until a red dot was mounted on the slide.

Firing pin broke, shortly after I mounted the Burris. The special mount that KelTec sells, to adapt the red dot to the slide. Holes are misaligned. Fixed it by backing off on one of the mounting screws. KelTec sent me a replacement firing pin. But wouldn't accept, that their holes were countersunk out of wack. And wanted me to send back the pistol for repair.

All in all, I'm very happy with my PMR 30. Except that business with KelTec.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine works fine.
    K/T generally has very good customer service. Tell your friends to use it!
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    short time ago i managed to get an Armscor RIA XT-22magnum pistol... need to get out and give it a run thru
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a new pmr 30 and had jamming and stove pipe problems too. I did some reading on the problems and found out that most everybody that was having problems corrected it by buying a loader for the mags. I bought this loader
    (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IWX54AM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522385078&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=pmr+30+speed+loader&dpPl=1&dpID=41waeoEyYJL&ref=plSrch)
    and have not had one problem since. They appear to be fussy when it comes to loading the magazine. I?ve run over 5 full magazines since buying the loader with no problems.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gjshaw
    I bought a new pmr 30 and had jamming and stove pipe problems too. I did some reading on the problems and found out that most everybody that was having problems corrected it by buying a loader for the mags. I bought this loader
    (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IWX54AM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522385078&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=pmr+30+speed+loader&dpPl=1&dpID=41waeoEyYJL&ref=plSrch)
    and have not had one problem since. They appear to be fussy when it comes to loading the magazine. I?ve run over 5 full magazines since buying the loader with no problems.

Never had jamming or feeding problems with mine. I've always followed, KelTec's loading procedures. Regarding loading 5 rounds. Than making sure they are seated correctly. By tapping the spine of the mag, gently against a hard surface.
  • Options
    Bottom GunBottom Gun Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps Keltec?s magazine loading instructions should start off with ?When the moon is full . . . . .?
    I bought a PMR30 a while back but resold it before I even fired it. I didn?t like the magazines. I could tell by the design that they were going to be problematic so after filling the magazines and dry cycling a few times, I decided this gun is not for me. I sold it unfired and bought a S&W model 48. The model 48 is a much nicer handgun.
    Mechanical engineers have their moments.
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one and have not had any issues. I do make sure the rounds are in the magazine correctly while loading. Bought it so the wife would have something to take care of the armadillos rooting up here garden beds. I went out one day with a .45 and quickly decided I did not want to have to clean up the mess I was about to make. That's when I went to gun broker and both the PMR.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,634 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one when they first came out. The only issues I had with it early on was a few failures to feed or eject. These issues occurred when I shot ammo not on the suggested list supplied with the firearm. It also keyholed with some loads.

Two years ago after 1500 rounds, the takedown pin broke. I contacted Keltec and mailed it in for service. When it was returned, Keltec replaced the broken pin, installed an upgraded barrel and sights....all at no cost.

Since that time I have fired approximately 1K of various ammo through it. No issues, no key holing and quite accurate. Fun gun to take to the range, the boom and fireball with some loads get some attention.
  • Options
    SquirtleSquirtle Member Posts: 1

The cheap fix for the failure to feed is to put a bead of glue to raise the mag up for a tight fit. The round will then feed flawlessly into the load ramp and cycle.

https://youtu.be/2g7c6YqVXaA

This discussion has been closed.