In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Money Order Question

emsfireemsfire Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
edited April 2018 in Ask the Experts
I sold a rifle last Saturday, the buyer says he sent out a USPS Money Order on Monday (4-9-18). It?s now Saturday and I have not received the payment. When should I start to worry and how long before I should relist the rifle?

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got a USPS money order that took 4 months. Many take at least 2 weeks. Magic word, "CHILL". lol
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Generally, payment should be received and the deal concluded in no more than two weeks, but the mail is a limiting factor. Give it until Monday, which would be one full week, and then contact the buyer to see what he has to say. Be sure to send a payment reminder so that it all official. You can relist at your pleasure, but if you want to have your Gun Broker fees refunded you need to follow the instructions to the letter.

This page spells it out step by step:

https://support.GunBroker.com/hc/en-us/articles/223147927
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In a legal size envelope, a week is common.

If he sent it in a Priority Mail envelope, it could take a month, as that is considered non-standard.

Postal workers, like most other federal employees, have received only one 2.9% pay raise in the last 5 years. Don't expect them to be highly motivated.

Neal
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always take picture of the MO I send and email it to the seller. let's them know it's on the way.
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "If he sent it in a Priority Mail envelope, it could take a month, as that is considered non-standard."

That is INCORRECT. If you really don't know how USPS operates, don't prove it by making such statements. Thank You.
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Usually 2 weeks before I start to get worried. I typically send the USPS MO and the FFL in the same Priority Mail envelope. 2-4 days max when I buy something. Some people just use a regular envelope and stamp. Give it another week before you do anything.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If a USPS money order is claimed to be "lost", there is a "waiting period" of (IIRC) approx 90 days before issuing a replacement to ensure it isn't later "found" .
    Using a Priority Mail cardboard envelope, makes "losing" the mailpiece more difficult but also makes it more prominent after delivery in some mail boxes. Mail thieves target such "important" pieces when pilfering, sometimes going as far as watching delivery personnel with binoculars and noting where large envelopes/small packages are stuffed into curbline boxes.
  • Options
    emsfireemsfire Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mark G
    Usually 2 weeks before I start to get worried. I typically send the USPS MO and the FFL in the same Priority Mail envelope. 2-4 days max when I buy something. Some people just use a regular envelope and stamp. Give it another week before you do anything.

This buyer used a regular stamp and envelope. Not a smart move in my opinion since the amount is right at $800.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Priority mail reaches the west coast in 2-3 days...
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    USPS money orders come with a carbon copy for the buyer. Have him send you a copy of it. In the center of the money order is the date, beginning with the year.

Your buyer's money order should have the numbers 180409 in the top center.