In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Vaquero Cylinder wear

0oAKo47o00oAKo47o0 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭
edited April 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have a Ruger NM Vaquero in SS and I've fired maybe 300 live rounds through it. With a set of snap caps in it, the number of times its been cycled is probably close to 5000 give or take. Anyway, i've started to notice some wear on the cylinder ratchet (excuse me if i'm using improper terminology) Is this normal or heavier than normal wear? The gun has no modifications and still functions fine, I'm just wondering how long before it isn't.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say some wear in is expected. If you or Ruger had polished the hand to start with the wear would have been reduced. Stainless on the micro scale tends to tear rather than cut - galling can result. I use RIG Stainless Steel +P grease on all my stainless firearms.

I just obtained an unfired Ruger Old Army, I will be taking it completely apart and stoning all the working surfaces and lubing it with the RIG grease.

The fitting of the hand/paul is important and I'd rather it wore than the ratchet/star, especially on cylinders were it is fixed and not easy to replace.

https://ruger.com/products/vaqueroStainless/models.html

added The rule I follow is if you can feel it then its 0.005 for sure - maybe less - depends on individual.

It is likely polished in by now so additional wear will be slow with grease. I suspect you are good for many years (a lifetime or two) of normal use. I have seen pistols shot to pieces by TV cowboy wannabees dry firing them to death, snap caps can help.
  • Options
    0oAKo47o00oAKo47o0 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ah well, live and learn. This is my first SS revolver and i've read that SS is generally softer than carbon steel. The wear isn't too terrible yet, I can see it but if I, say, drag my fingernail across it, I can't feel it.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cylinder can be polished out so it looks like new and the cylinder stop can be polished to help prevent further cylinder line. But if you shoot it enough one will develop,