In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Uncock Firing Pin on Rimfire

zvettezvette Member Posts: 118
edited April 2018 in Ask the Experts
Noticed that instructions for my Remington Model 34 .22 bolt action say to uncock the firing pin you hold the trigger down while sliding the bolt forward. Seems like a great way to avoid unintentional dry firing on a rimfire. Wondering if that works similar on all non-semi-auto actions?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I try and leave everything un-cocked and un-loaded in long term storage. From the late 20's on spring steel really improved. After WWII nearly all manufactures used good spring steel with proper heat treatment.

Snap caps can be handy.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having a number #4, dry wall anchor, in the chamber. Before pulling the trigger. Prevents damage to the chamber. They are way cheaper than snap caps, @ <$4.00 fpr a hundred.

70025d1468260553-cheap-snap-caps-22-rimfire-.22lr-wall-anchor-snap-cap.jpg
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    " Wondering if that works similar on all non-semi-auto actions?"................this works great on bolt actions.....semi autos and pumps = no go
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Properly made springs should not lose strength when kept under tension.
  • Options
    zvettezvette Member Posts: 118
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bill DeShivs
    Properly made springs should not lose strength when kept under tension.

Yep, true enough. It is the cycling (fatigue) that causes them to eventually lose tension if at all. That "discussion" comes up occasionally on auto forums regarding valve springs (and suspension coil, leaf springs and torsion bars) but you are correct, and an improperly designed spring or poor material will result in static creep depending on time and temperature-not really an issue for quality firearms I would think.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you, rufe-snow, for that tip. One of those "why didn't I think of that."
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by navc130
    Thank you, rufe-snow, for that tip. One of those "why didn't I think of that."

Beat me to it!
    Rufe, I'm going to have to steal that and pass it around.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah most bolt actions can release the firing pin on closing the bolt while pulling trigger but I would not recommend doing so on a live round, pumps and semi's I normally insert a plastic anchor and fire to release spring pressure if going in storage for awhile and my lever action has a hammer that I release.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Having a number #4, dry wall anchor, in the chamber. Before pulling the trigger. Prevents damage to the chamber. They are way cheaper than snap caps, @ <$4.00 fpr a hundred.

70025d1468260553-cheap-snap-caps-22-rimfire-.22lr-wall-anchor-snap-cap.jpg

Great idea.

If you want a FREE [;)] substitute you can use a spent .22 shell. Just make sure you rotate it so that the firing pin hits a different spot on the rim than the first shot.

Advantage of these (other than cost) is that they're usually readily available where guns are fired.

You won't be able to repeatedly dry fire these, but as a way to let down a firing pin without ruining your chamber, this is good.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bright color lets you know there's an empty chamber when you crack the action open too.