In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fiala, serial number location?

rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
edited April 2018 in Ask the Experts
Ran across one today. Descent condition, but missing rear sight. Marked on right side of frame. "Model 1920" "Made in USA". Left side, "Fiala Arms", with the "Polar Bear". Vertical grooved grips, 7 1/2" barrel.

Couldn't take the grips off. Is the serial number, under them? Every thing works. And appears functional, other that the rear sight. The mag has a brass follower. My guess, it was originally made for the early Colt Woodsman. Kind of a neat pistol, never had any hands on, with a manually operated pistol. Although I've seen a number of Fiala's, over the years.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Henry0Reilly
    Dogpile search came up with a thread in another forum that states the serial numbers are on the grip frame and bottom of the slide.

I have no clue if this applies to the piece you have.

Thanks Henry!

But no joy in mudville, i'm afraid. Went back and checked it. Nothing is visible underneath the grips, or on the under surface of the slide.
  • Options
    chicoppeechicoppee Member Posts: 312 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every one I have is numbered on the front of the grip frame ,slide and the barrel.
    You have to remove the barrel to read the number!
  • Options
    JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    There is some variability in serial number location on these guns when you include the Fiala, Columbia Arms and, Schall variations.

The majority of the Fiala guns have the serial number on the front grip strap with a full or partial serial number on the bottom of the slide. The same is true for the Columbia Arms I have observed. The Schall sold variations whether marked with the Scahll name or not have the serial number on top of the frame under the slide and you must remove the slide to find it at the top rear of the frame.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JohnStimson
    There is some variability in serial number location on these guns when you include the Fiala, Columbia Arms and, Schall variations.

The majority of the Fiala guns have the serial number on the front grip strap with a full or partial serial number on the bottom of the slide. The same is true for the Columbia Arms I have observed. The Schall sold variations whether marked with the Scahll name or not have the serial number on top of the frame under the slide and you must remove the slide to find it at the top rear of the frame.

Thanks John!

How is the slide removed? Barrel doesn't seem, to be easily removable. It has a transverse pin, securing it to the frame. That has been peened on either side.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe bubba lost the threaded barrel screw..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GabtQN6Fbf0

"The mag doesn't appear to have a ejector tab? Wonder if it would work, like the original Fiala mag?"

I really don't know any particulars.. I've only seen/handled them , in passing, at gunshows in the past..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hangfire

Thanks!

Always a possibility [xx(] After 90 years, who knows?

Appears to be the same condition, as the one in the video. Other than the missing rear sight. And the Colt, pre Woodsmen mag. The mag doesn't appear to have a ejector tab? Wonder if it would work, like the original Fiala mag?
  • Options
    edited November -1

"The mag doesn't appear to have a ejector tab? Wonder if it would work, like the original Fiala mag?"

I really don't know any particulars.. I've only seen/handled them , in passing, at gunshows in the past..

The Fiala and Columbia magazines have a cast bronze follower. These magazines do not have ejector tabs nor does the frame have an ejector.

One might assume that as a manually operated pistol that manual help with ejection might be required.

Not all the Fiala/Columbia/Schall pistols had the threaded pin with a knurled and slotted head for barrel removal. Most Fiala's did not have pinned barrels and most if not all Schall pistols had a pinned barrel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

Thanks!

Appears to be the same condition, as the one in the video. Other than the missing rear sight. And the Colt, pre Woodsmen mag. The mag doesn't appear to have a ejector tab? Wonder if it would work, like the original Fiala mag?

My pre Woodsman Colt has Colt markings on the floor plate. The Hartford pistol magazine have a cast iron or steel follower that also fits.

Slide removal is accomplished by removing the magazine. Push down on the slide lock and then push the slide a bit to the rear. On the back of the frame on the curve where the web of the thumb and index finger contacts the frame, there is a spring loaded plunger that will recede into the frame as the slide nears the end of its rearward movement. You need to catch an edge of this plunger and keep it from receding and that will allow you to remove the slide.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Thanks!

My pre Woodsman Colt has Colt markings on the floor plate. The Hartford pistol magazine have a cast iron or steel follower that also fits.

Slide removal is accomplished by removing the magazine. Push down on the slide lock and then push the slide a bit to the rear. On the back of the frame on the curve where the web of the thumb and index finger contacts the frame, there is a spring loaded plunger that will recede into the frame as the slide nears the end of its rearward movement. You need to catch an edge of this plunger and keep it from receding and that will allow you to remove the slide.

Got it John! Thanks for the heads up. Took me bout 1/2 hr. Trying everything, from my finger nails, shim stock, jewelers screwdrivers and a lot of bad words. Finally was able to wedge the blade of a exacto knife, underneath the lip. While I pushed down on the slide actuating lever on the frame. This worked, thankfully. Incidentally the serial number, is #5179.

For S & G, I took it out in the desert this afternoon. And shot it. It worked OK, but the magazine lips are toast. Causing many misfeeds. Going to try my Colt Woodsman magazines, to see if they will work? Even with the rear sight missing. Was able to hit a bullseye target, with no problem. At 10 yards. Funny thing, it has a great trigger pull. Measured at less than 3 lbs. Way better than the lawyer proof triggers, found on the new guns sold today.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Thanks!

Got it John! Thanks for the heads up. Took me bout 1/2 hr. Trying everything, from my finger nails, shim stock, jewelers screwdrivers and a lot of bad words. Finally was able to wedge the blade of a exacto knife, underneath the lip. While I pushed down on the slide actuating lever on the frame. This worked, thankfully. Incidentally the serial number, is #5179.

For S & G, I took it out in the desert this afternoon. And shot it. It worked OK, but the magazine lips are toast. Causing many misfeeds. Going to try my Colt Woodsman magazines, to see if they will work? Even with the rear sight missing. Was able to hit a bullseye target, with no problem. At 10 yards. Funny thing, it has a great trigger pull. Measured at less than 3 lbs. Way better than the lawyer proof triggers, found on the new guns sold today.

Thanks for the serial number. I have added this pistol to my log of this family of guns. This brings to 192 of these pistols with serial numbers from 3 through 8105.