In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SW 1905 revolver

tone59tone59 Member Posts: 670 ✭✭
edited April 2018 in Ask the Experts
A firearm at the local pawn shop caught my attention due to the finely made pearls with gold SW medallions it wears.
From pics on the auction side I believe it to be a model 1905,1903 or 1899.

I will be going to take a second look this morning.
All I can remember about it is the nickeled finish is about 80%, SER#10056,price 350.Don't know the caliber.

Can someone tell the DOM and what model change it might be?
Thank you

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The early "Hand Ejectors", if that is what it is? Were serialized by caliber. With the SN, you have given. It could be either chambered for the 32, 32-20 or 38 Special cartridges. All dating to the early 1900's.

In my experience, factory nickle plated handguns. With appreciable nickel loss. Have little collector value. If the MOP grips with the gold S & W medallions, are in VG to excellent condition. And are original S & W's. They might be worth more than the revolver itself.
  • tone59tone59 Member Posts: 670 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thank you rufe-snow.
    I need to get a closer look regarding the finish.
    if its a 32 I think it may be a 1903.
    the grips are beautiful and fit as close to perfect as I have seen.

EDIT:
    Its a 32 Winchester ctg.
    The cyl holes are smaller at the front than at the rear indicating a 32-20.

May go ahead and make an offer.

Opinions appreciated
  • mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Model 1905 is a K frame HE and has a rounded grip frame. If the gun is mechanically good then the price seems close to fair . They are not scarce and collector value is nearly confined to examples that are 95% or better.

The grips as you describe them do have collector value. I have a 1905 in 32-20 and they are good shooters. Mine is also in nickel finish but I believe its value to be closer to $200 to $250 max. So you would be paying extra for the grips and not be getting a bargain, but buying it within reason. IMO
    edited November -1
    I brought it home.
    $315 out the door.
    Very happy with it.
    I am now fairly certain it is a 1st change model 1902 hand ejector in 32-20.
    The SER# 10056 shows on the cylinder, bottom of the frame, and under the barrel.
    It has a 4.875 inch barrel and round butt.

With some Weiman paste and some TLC the nickel finish cleaned up nice as did the gold medallions.
    The finish is bright and shiny in all areas with small areas of freckling here and there.

I may watch for a higher condition gun the pearl grips will fit on.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tone59
    I brought it home.
    $315 out the door.
    Very happy with it.
    I am now fairly certain it is a 1st change model 1902 hand ejector in 32-20.
    The SER# 10056 shows on the cylinder, bottom of the frame, and under the barrel.
    It has a 4.875 inch barrel and round butt.

With some Weiman paste and some TLC the nickel finish cleaned up nice as did the gold medallions.

The finish is bright and shiny in all areas with small areas of freckling here and there.

I may watch for a higher condition gun the pearl grips will fit on.

Per, "SCSW",. #10056, would date to 1903, and would be the 1st change. Considering the grips, you got it at a good price. Check fleabay, to see what the scalpers are selling original S & W MOP grips for.

Factory 32-20 ammo, is kind of pricy nowadays. If you intend to do any amount of shooting with it? Reloading would be your best bet.

I've done a lot of reloading, for the Swedish Model 1887 military revolver. Although they call it 7.5 mm, for all practical purposes. It's just a slightly shortened 32-20. I even use 32-20, brass to make the Swede 7.5 mm. The Swede's bore diameter is actually .308 dia. So that 108 grain, total metal jacket, (plated). Bullets made for reloading the M-1 carbine are your best bet for reloading the 32-20. Same, same as for loading the 7.5 Swede.
    edited November -1
    Good to know about the 32-20 and M-1 carbine bullets.

These pearl grips are really nice and I am leaning hard towards the idea of matching them up with a 98%+ revolver (blued or nickeled)in any caliber.
    The grips have a lot of color in them and the medallions are bright.
    I cannot find any flaws.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reload for the 32.20, in some older Colts, an AWA single action and as it happens a "just bought today Cimarron" 1873 type. In the older Colts (Police Positive) I go very easy with Hunters Supply .313 diameter lead, anywhere from 76 to 115 grains. In the newer SA I tend to use Hornady jacketed 85 grains, .312 diameter.

The report doesn't seem at all as objectionable as most describe it.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree, 1902 First.
    Interesting, the one illustrated in Flayderman is nickel plated, too.

Are the pearls numbered to the gun?
    edited November -1
    Thank you Hawk.
    The grips are not numbered.
    If they were I would not consider separating them from the gun.

My book indicates the 1st change was a round butt to a square one.
    This gun with its round butt and early 1st change SER# looks to be a SER# overlap gun.
    SW was simple using up some leftover frames.
    Physically its a 1902.

I suspect this is common at number changes.
    My 27-2,3 SW acquired 6 years ago is a transitional gun having the frame marked 27-2 with the -2 counter bored cylinder feature yet it has the -3 fixed barrel.
    The N941xxx SER# should be an early 27-3.
    The number puts it near the change.
    SW was using up the leftover frames.

EDIT:
    It seems that acquiring a 98%+ revolver may be a pricey endeavor.
    I see more nice square butts than round on the auction side.

EDIT:I knew nothing about early hand ejector Smiths before this purchase.
    It looks to me this frame size was used for quite a few years.
    Can someone tell me what these frames are called and what other models share the round butt frame?
    Thank You.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like you have researched it pretty thoroughly.
    They have been making round butt M&P/K frame revolvers since day one and still are.