In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

glock ammo

rangerange Member Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
edited April 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have heard you don't shoot lead ammo in a glock. What is a good cheap ammo to shoot for plinking.
new to glock[?]
Thanks
Shannon

Comments

• Options
    rangerange Member Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    is thers any factory 9mm ammo that wont function in a glock
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years back, Aguila. Use to make a specially, personal protection load. With a prefragmented, 9mm, aluminum bullet. It wouldn't work for beans, in my G 17.

These speciality personal protection loads. Like the above Aguila, that utilize very light 60 to 80 grain bullets. Have to be loaded, to a much higher velocity. To function reliably, in a Glock that was designed for heavier bullets.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I once bought a box of Greek target 9mm ammo. Think it was labelled "Olympia" or "Olympian" or something like that.

This was simply underpowered and unreliable in the guns I tried it in. I didn't try it in a Glock, but I bet it would have caused trouble.

In general all the modern service 9mms (Glock, Beretta, Sig, Ruger, Smith, etc) are designed to run NATO ammo, which is 124 grain. All of these run any "normal" 9mm (115 or 124gr) of normal or +P velocity fine.

Once you start getting into more "exotic" ammo of unusually high or low weight then you *may* have problems with individual types of ammo in individual guns.

I've never had an issue with 147 grain ammo in any gun I've tried, but I could see this causing problems in some older guns.

Edit: Again, in general, 9mm is the most common centerfire pistol ammo in the world. Every maker makes this, and there is a ton of stuff out there of varying spec and quality.

Although I'm sure there is some ammo out there that "could" choke a Glock, pretty much any conventional ammo by any "name" manufacturer will run fine, as should any milspec ammo.

Some people love to mess with exotic ammo for various reasons, and that can be fun, but in terms of ordinary practice, target shooting, or defensive use, all that stuff is best avoided, IMO.

Also, the conventional wisdom is not to use unjacketed lead bullets in Glocks, because the guns' polygonal rifling is subject to leading up and this may cause accuracy or (worse) safety problems. If, for whatever reason, you want to shoot unjacketed bullets in your Glock, drop in aftermarket replacement barrels are readily available, and relatively inexpensive.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was some cheap Egyptian surplus on the market in the late 80s/early 90s (no idea on year of make, etc) that a buddy's Glock would always feed OK, but couldn't reliably ignite - he got good at the "trigger reset pinch" manuever. His Beretta 92 had issues feeding it, but always ignited it and his CZ and my CZ clone would just gobble it up all day long.

Nasty corrosive stuff though. But really cheap...
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by llama
    There was some cheap Egyptian surplus on the market in the late 80s/early 90s (no idea on year of make, etc) that a buddy's Glock would always feed OK, but couldn't reliably ignite - he got good at the "trigger reset pinch" manuever. His Beretta 92 had issues feeding it, but always ignited it and his CZ and my CZ clone would just gobble it up all day long.

Nasty corrosive stuff though. But really cheap...

Lot of the ex military stuff, have hard primers. That are specifically made for open bolt submachine guns. When it's shot in striker fired handguns like Glocks, trouble ensues. As you have noted.

In the past, when I have had trouble with this stuff. In a conventional hammer fired pistol, like one of the many CZ clones. A heavier main spring from Wolff, fixes the problem. Don't know if there is a similar fix, for striker fired Glocks?