In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Win pre 64 mod 70

handforgedhandforged Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited April 2018 in Ask the Experts
I?m watching a md 70 on the auction side 765710028. I believe this to be the varmint model. The scope I would replace but feel I could resell for a fairly decent price. My question is, am I correct or am I missing something here? I know it ain?t over till it?s over!

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most likely it "ain't over till it's over". Looks like a nice piece! By the way, I still use a couple of those "obsolete" steel tube Weaver K-8's with adjustable objective focus, obtained late 1960"s early 70's maybe. They have always held zero, always were clear, always did the job if I did mine.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That Weaver would be worth more on the rifle than you could likely get for it. Prices have be depressed lately, but I think this will do better in the last hour.
  • Options
    handforgedhandforged Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, I guess I just want to be sure it is indeed the Varmint md., and to say that I appreciate this forum and have learned a lot over the years!
  • Options
    seewinseewin Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It indeed look's like an original Varmint model. These were available in 220 Swift and 243 Win. The Varmint model used the same medium heavy barrel as the Target models, however instead of the Marksman stock, they were fitted with the standard stock. Major difference between the Varmint stock and standard stock is the lack of the forearm screw which attaches the stock to barrel about midway up the forearm. The stock shown in the auction pictures, does not have this screw, which leads me to believe it is an original Varmint and not just a Target barreled action which has been fitted to a standard stock.
    The plastic buttplate is correct for this vintage of a model 70 as well. 1959 was the year Winchester switched from the traditional steel buttplate to the less expensive molded plastic piece. This would have been one of the first Varmint models to receive the plastic buttplate.
    Steve
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's pretty much the twin to mine, right down to the Weaver scope and mount, except my Weaver is a K10. I bought the rifle, used, in the early '60's; I won't say what I paid--it would make you cry! I bought the scope new.

According to Roger Rule's book, the rifle you're watching was made in Feb., 1959 while mine was made in Sept. You will note the bare metal muzzle; those rifles had stainless steel barrels and, supposedly, were iron plated so they could be blued. In those days, blued steel was the thing, silver barrels wouldn't fly!