In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Griffiin & Howe scope mount????

GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2018 in Ask the Experts
https://www.GunBroker.com/item/767813805

ANY of you gurus know what this fits? ANY help appreciated!!

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My WAG is that it's a G & H, sidemount. That is attached to a dove tailed base. That is fitted to the left side of the rifles receiver. With screws and locator pins.

Both the mounts and gunsmithing required, were/are very pricy. And required a skilled gunsmith to install. With all modern rifles, being furnished D & T'd for top mounted scopes. Not commonly found, unless somebody want to retrofit it, to a older rifle.

The 7/8" rings really date it, to years ago. Probably old enough to collect social security.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks rufe. Yea, it was found in the back of a cabinet of my local gunshop, which has been there for decades. Previous owner long passed, so who knows.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rufe's WAG is on the money. That's the part of the mount that quick detaches from the receiver specific half. In short, what you have will attach to any G&H side mount base. The rings probably date it to the 20's-30's. They are well known for exact zero when removed and replaced. A mount with base in good shape averages about $400, and you can add another $100 for the ones with the windage adjustment knob on the rear of the mount.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you TRAP.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a few, the above posts are right on. Split rings are popular as opposed to the closed single screw. A 7/8" diameter isn't as popular as 1", but would be in line on a "period" rifle. The dovetail upper should fit any base, the throw levers can be adjusted too.

BTW, you have an opening bidder already ....[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    I have a few, the above posts are right on. Split rings are popular as opposed to the closed single screw. A 7/8" diameter isn't as popular as 1", but would be in line on a "period" rifle. The dovetail upper should fit any base, the throw levers can be adjusted too.

Thank you - thing has 4 watchers , hope you get it though. Watchers watch, bidders bid !
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a reasonable image showing the bottom rail of the side mount with dovetail and pin alignment.

griffin-howe-mount-how-works.jpg

The bottom part of this system was made to match over a dozen rifle receivers including the M1C. The system is extremely accurate with regard to repeatability with the on/off set up. We used dozens of these for rifles going to Africa so that the hunter had the option of using scope sights or irons. We had the last of the G&H supply of these including all of the springs and small parts but ran out far too soon. I wrote the programs for a CNC mill to make reproductions which was fun and profitable for awhile but the demand outstripped my time and desire.

Best.

Another highly embellished version including the windage adjustment:

gh-sidemount-profile-scott-close-left.jpg
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher

Thank you - thing has 4 watchers , hope you get it though. Watchers watch, bidders bid !

I have an NRA Sporter (made Oct 1928) with the G&H sidemount and a 1" Lyman scope. The bolt just barely clears, so I'm hoping to snag a 7/8" scope to go along with the mount, but have the eyepiece well ahead of the bolt at lifting point. Two separate mounts with scope would be a neat little set up. Teach those "plastic tactical" folks a thing or two. [;)]