In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&R 732 revolver help

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
edited April 2018 in Ask the Experts
Folks I am replacing a bad mainspring stem on a H&R 732. I noticed that the firing spring striker (part #10 in the link picture) was not actually in this gun. From what I understand the pistol did function without it. There is a Pin protruding from the side of the lifter (part 21) for it to pivot on but the part is simply not there...I am assuming the hammer was just striking the back of the firing pin perhaps?

Any info on how this would affect the reliability of the pistol as well as other things like trigger pull, smoothness, etc. would be appreciate.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/hr/revolvers-hr/732-2-2?page=2

Comments

• Options
    sprintsprint Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A little more information on the revolver would be helpful for an answer to your question. Good starting point would be to provide the letter prefix in the serial number to determine the year of manufacture.

Sprint
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looking at the schematic it shows some take the fp striker and some do not. The fp striker is a safety feature that does not allow the gun to fire unless the trigger is pulled, which all modern revolvers now have. This requires the striker to rise up between the hammer and the firing pin to make contact. Just look at the space between the rear of the cylinder and the frame and pull the trigger. If the firing pin protrudes from the frame the hammer is hitting it and that is correct, no striker required, i.e., it was made that way. If the firing pin does not protrude then the striker and spring is required. The face of the hammer is flat for the old style direct hit hammer. For the striker model the face of the hammer is cut-out for the striker to rise up between it and the firing pin. The parts list shows the two types.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    new or old model ?
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello!
    It is apparent that someone switched out hammers on your revolver. Instead of replacing the firing pin striker, they installed a hammer that did not require a firing pin striker. If this was the original hammer, the revolver would not fire without the firing pin striker. It is dangerous for the revolver to be in this condition. You must ensure that the firing pin is always over an empty chamber. The firing pin striker is a safety feature that precludes the hammer from contacting the firing pin unless the hammer is cocked.
    Check to see if the top of your hammer is configured like the one in the picture. I'm willing to bet that it is not.
    buttplate
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the trigger needs to be held back while the hammer arcs forward to fire. If the trigger is allowed to move forward the fps will drop and the gun will not fire.

H&R's were considered the best of the cheapies, and might be worth fixing. I had 4" 9 shot that required pulling the cylinder and using the pin to punch out the empties. Was a really good shooter, but slow on the reload.

added The first holster I ever made was for a 8 3/8 barrel model 25-5 S&W in 45 Colt. On the first outing, when I got out of the truck my buddy ask me if I carried the pistol cocked? Apparently the process of sitting down or getting up and out had cocked the hammer. I added a safety strap to the hammer. My current design is a fully lined flapped holster. It protects the pistol and me.
  • Options
    buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I think the trigger needs to be held back while the hammer arcs forward to fire. If the trigger is allowed to move forward the fps will drop and the gun will not fire.

Yes, the trigger is always pulled back when firing!! When the trigger is allowed to come forward, the firing pin striker will drop. If it didn't drop, it wouldn't be doing its job.
    buttplate