In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W model 66/w 2,5 ported barrel

tone59tone59 Member Posts: 670 ✭✭
edited April 2018 in Ask the Experts
Does a factory magna ported 2.5inch barrel add much value to a Smith model 66?
I ran across one in nice shape.
The finger groove wood grips w/medallions are scratched up bad around the screw other than that its looks to be mint.
Not P&R so later than 66-1.
I think it is a 66-4.
No box.
Value?

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate ported barrels, they direct the recoil straight back into my wrist. Might not be an issue with a 357, but in a 44 Mag or 45-70 it makes them painful for me.

For the last few months I have been packing a no dash 66 with either a 2.5 or the 4 inch tube(I bought for my now deceased BIL back in the early 90's, it was NIB old stock, from a friend. I think it was $425 out the door back then.

added We just went to Cabala's today. Bought 2 boxes of 38 Special 158 HP and 4 boxes of 9mm 115 HP. I told Sis she would not enjoy shooting 357's in her Lady Smith let alone in the K frames. Last trip to the range a powderless round took her M&P Shield out of action. No clue if it was factory or a reload and if so by whom. That's why we bought some factory Hornady ammo.

As a side note the Glendale store had lots of ammo, none of the on sale stuff was in stock. They had some gun power, the first cans of Bullseye I have seen on a shelf in a long time.

$850 seems high for a 'shooter' to me.
  • tone59tone59 Member Posts: 670 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wont be firing it.
    A short barreled 357mag does not make a lot of sense to me.
    Thought it might have some decent value as a collector piece.
    I can have it for $850.

Hope to read some opinions.
    Thank You.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I checked closed auctions, quickly, didn't see ported, but without box and 98% condition, 850 seems retail/// And the ports would be for MYSELF a deal breaker for that particular model. ALL IMO
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the others. With no box, I don't see how you can know which "factory" did the porting. Messed up grips, no box, not likely to ever be collectible, even if you could be sure that it is a S&W model & not a base gun that someone customized.

You asked for value, so.....my opinion is that it would bring $400-500.

Neal
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    >>Does a factory magna ported 2.5inch barrel add much value to a Smith model 66?

How do you know this was a factory ported gun?

Short answer. No. I could see someone giving another $100 for the porting, though I personally wouldn't. In fact, at the same price, I'd avoid the ported gun. (IE its worth LESS than zero to me).

Collector value? I don't think this has any. Model 66 isn't some super-rare gun. NIB ones are out there. With scratches on grips and no box, don't think this will be of much interest to any serious collector.

In practice, IMO, porting on a short-barreled .357 adds little of value. You'll reduce muzzle flip a bit, so that's "good", but you do this at the expense of directing muzzle flash up into your line of sight, potentially blinding you if you shoot at night.

IMO, to the extent it makes sense at all, Magnaport works better for one of those big bore hunting revolvers, not a short barreled carry/defensive revolver, which is what a 2.5" K frame is supposed to be.

Value? If there are scratches on the grips its not really "mint", is it? Sight unseen, I'd estimate $650 +/- $50.

Edit: FWIW, on pricing, I couldn't find any completed auction 2.5" model 66s that went for under $600, let alone a magnaported one, or one with nice wood stocks. Lowest priced actual sale for a 66 snub I could find was $640.

The 4" guns are WAY more common, and go for as little as $400. IMO 4" gun is more practical, but less "cool"
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My SCSW is packed away, so can't help you that way. S & W many many limited production runs, for Lew Horton and other retailers. For similar revolvers. As to the one, you describe. All they were basically, were to entice. The folks who just had to have, every limited production, short barreled, model with ports, that Smith cataloged.

My WAG, most are still unfired, in original boxes, with all accessories and paperwork. Stashed in their owners gun safes.

To make a long story short. I agree with the other guys. Without original box, accessories, paperwork and with butchered grips. The $850 price, is twice what it's worth. Even if you could score it for $425. it would be OK with 38 Specials. Full bore 357 Magnums, the ports would make your eyes water, and give you a forever finch.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IIRC the 2.5" is a round butt, and even in bad shape, and if they are, the factory wood combat grips add value to it. However, I think that 850 is a bit high..
  • tone59tone59 Member Posts: 670 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im going to pass on it.
    As nmyers says the guy doesn't know the porting was done at the factory.

went to take a better look today.
    it has a dent in the back strap I had not noticed before.
    500-550 gun.

I am no longer interested since the porting doesn't effect the value much + the condition just isn't there.

I have since came across a 686-3 2.5in at the pawn shop that is LN no box.
    The asking prices for some of the 686-3s on the auction side with 2.5 barrels are quite high,about triple the $650 the pawn shop was asking.
    The owner said he has priced it at $100 below what a new one cost.

He offered it to me for 600 out the door so I bought it.