In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is Double Tap Trigger action like a Bump stock?

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2018 in Ask the Experts
Is Double Tap Trigger a device with action like a Bump stock?

What is the common actions of these two devices and is it being targeted by legislation like Bump stocks?

serf

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    A Double Tap Trigger, which is also known as a Binary Trigger, depending on who produces the device, essentially allows the weapon to fire once when the trigger is pulled and as second time when the trigger is released. This is completely different from the function of the Slide Fire stocks which feature a hand grip that allows a shooter to push the rifle away from the body to bounce, or bump, the weapon into the trigger finger.

If you want to discuss pending legislation then this topic belongs in either General Discussion or in the Gun Rights forum.
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was looking for a comparison between the two of the rate of fire on a semi-automatic weapon. Since I own neither.

serf
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a pending ATF regulation that is proposed. Next step is a final regulation that would seal the deal on bumpstocks. I know of no federal legislation of such devices that is actually moving toward enactment.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    slide fire is stopping production may 20th
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    >>Is Double Tap Trigger a device with action like a Bump stock?

Not exactly. The effect and mechanism of action are different.

Bump stock effectively uses the recoil of the gun to cycle the trigger repeatedly as long as you pull back. It creates the effect of full-auto fire, potentially emptying the entire magazine in one burst of fire. Supposedly cyclic rate of fire of these can get to around 700 shots/minute.

"Double tap" trigger is a mechanical device that gives you two trigger pulls per finger cycle, to create quick bursts of two shots ("double taps"). I don't know what cyclic rate of fire is here, but I'd assume with moderate practice someone could cycle this with 3 trigger pulls/sec for 180 shots/minutes.

Both devices are currently legal, and there is no pending legislation to ban either device.

Supposedly BATFE regulation is pending to create an effective regulatory ban on bump stocks. What form this regulation will take, and whether or this regulation can survive legal challenge is an open question. Some believe that since the BATFE has said, in writing multiple times that bump stocks are legal, it can't just reverse itself now without new legal authority. That said, I don't want to be the one in court making that challenge.

So far as I know two shot triggers aren't in any regulatory body's "radar screen" right now, but they may (or may not) be covered by the eventual BATFE regulatory ban.

In terms of rate of fire, IMO both these things are mostly BS. With a little bit of practice, most semi-auto guns can be "bump-fired" in stock configuration with no special stock or equipment. Go to you-tube and you can see people bump firing stock guns from their shoulder. The bump fire stock just makes doing it easier.

Also, I think any skilled shooter with a stock AR-15 can easily pull off 3 shots/second. Jerry Miculek can do 5 shots/second. So no regulation/legislation is ever going to stop anyone from shooting really quickly, if that's what they want to do.