In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

hi standard mod gb

krazyboutgunskrazyboutguns Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
edited May 2018 in Ask the Experts
Hello, i have a hi standard model gb with usaf marked on side, can someone help me determine its worth? just a general idea, sr # is 316494

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Condition is everything to collector. You could search at completed auctions for prices. Post some good pic's.

I really like my HD Military, likely the best shooting autoloader I have every shot.

John Stimpson is the man for HS.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My WAG $400+ to someone who wants the military marking.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GB's were only made for a short time, in the late 40's. They were a transition model. With the removable barrel of the Sport Kings. And the short frame of the earlier "B" models, that date to the 1930's.

I personally, have never been aware of any GB's with military markings. Although have owned a GB, and have seen many others over the years. Great caution should be exercised, as adding phoney military markings. Is one of the most common things, that bottom feeding fakers to. To increase the value of plain vanilla H-S's.

Hopefully John Stimpson will be by shortly. To help us understand this question if military marked GB's are authentic.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold one here on GunBroker about six months ago in I think around 90% condition and I think it sold for $900.00.
  • Options
    JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    There were about 1,100 Model G-B ordered by and shipped to the Ordnance Department for the USAF. Prior to the big shipment there were a few samples shipped. Colt also sold a number of Woodsman's for use by the USAF.

316,494 was one to the large shipment of Model G-B's to the government on 8/23/1949.

I have logged nearly 30 survivors of these Model B-B USAF marked guns in the past few years.

David Buehn used to put or have put government marking on various makes of guns. He was particularly fond of Navy markings. It is always best to validate a "rare" military marked piece. At around 1,100 pieces this is not particularly rare by High Standard gun comparisons.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JohnStimson
    There were about 1,100 Model G-B ordered by and shipped to the Ordnance Department for the USAF. Prior to the big shipment there were a few samples shipped. Colt also sold a number of Woodsman's for use by the USAF.

316,494 was one to the large shipment of Model G-B's to the government on 8/23/1949.

I have logged nearly 30 survivors of these Model B-B USAF marked guns in the past few years.

David Buehn used to put or have put government marking on various makes of guns. He was particularly fond of Navy markings. It is always best to validate a "rare" military marked piece. At around 1,100 pieces this is not particularly rare by High Standard gun comparisons.

Thanks John! This is the first time that I've ever been aware, that there was a, "GB", military contract.

As a aside, regarding Dave Buehn. When I lived in commie callie years ago. Saw Dave a number of times, driving his Rolls Royce. I believe it was in the Orange county area. I guess putting spurious markings on H-S's. Was a pretty lucrative gig for him.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank you all for your help, i really appreciate it. And on another note, just a question. Do any of you know, can a person try and sell a collection (5) of pistols on GunBroker auction sight or are we limited to one gun per listing? Just hoping one of you might know this. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think one could sell a collection in one auction but I would bet one would see more money from selling individual pieces. This of course depends on the collection for instance consecutive serial numbered guns might be an exception. I will suggest that if you are new to selling guns on line you might consider contacting a pro like Locust Fork She does a great job and knows how to get top dollar. Good luck!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    I would think one could sell a collection in one auction but I would bet one would see more money from selling individual pieces. This of course depends on the collection for instance consecutive serial numbered guns might be an exception. I will suggest that if you are new to selling guns on line you might consider contacting a pro like Locust Fork She does a great job and knows how to get top dollar. Good luck!!!
    Thank you for the info, your right, maybe individual auctions would do me better. Thanks again.