In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Steyr Hahn 1912 barrel

RelicDougRelicDoug Member Posts: 13
edited May 2018 in Ask the Experts
Is it common to find a Steyr Hahn that has an unnumbered barrel? I was looking to purchase a Romanian version with a slot for a shoulder stock (from what I can gather, they are pretty rare), and all the serials match according to the seller, except the barrel is unnumbered. Does it hurt the value of the gun, and if so, by how much?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    interesting pistol but I know very little if the barrel should have a serial # or not
    if it was a rare type of LUGER and barrel was miss match it would kill the value
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No clue. I suspect it is a replacement barrel. Corrosive primers and wars are hard on barrels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_M1912

Shoulder stocks are 'cool' but realistically not all that useful to a good shooter, but they can really help poor ones.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been many years, since I last owned one. Don't recall, if the barrels were serialized? But some of the ones that were reworked for military service in the 1930's. Were converted from the original 9 mm Steyr chambering, to the 9 mm Luger cartridge.

See if the current barrel, still will chamber the 9 mm Steyr cartridge. Which is longer than the 9 mm Luger cartridge. If it does? I would be happy and satisfied, as a Romanian Steyr-Hahn. Is a very rare and desirable military pistol.

EDIT #1,

Here is a pic, I got off the net. Of a Romanian S-H, (note the crest). That has been converted, to 9 mm P. The 08 marking, shows that it's been converted to 9 mm P.

If neither the slide or barrel, of the one your interested in buying. Has the "08" marking. Likely it's still original 9 mm Steyr.

20079252282_pix1462107015.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    No clue. I suspect it is a replacement barrel. Corrosive primers and wars are hard on barrels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_M1912

Shoulder stocks are 'cool' but realistically not all that useful to a good shooter, but they can really help poor ones.

I?m not sure it changes anything, but the proof marks on the barrel appear to be of the correct origin as well.
    As it pertains to the shoulder-stock version, I wasn?t looking to necessarily buy a shoulder stock, but have the gun dually as an investment and a shooter (heck, and maybe in the unlikely case that one did show up, I could attatch it).
    My other consideration, alternatively, was a Steyr of the same type (and all-matching serials), but with more marks from wear and some pitting along the slide, and priced a couple hundred higher.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    It's been many years, since I last owned one. Don't recall, if the barrels were serialized? But some of the ones that were reworked for military service in the 1930's. Were converted from the original 9 mm Steyr chambering, to the 9 mm Luger cartridge.

See if the current barrel, still will chamber the 9 mm Steyr cartridge. Which is longer than the 9 mm Luger cartridge. If it does? I would be happy and satisfied, as a Romanian Steyr-Hahn. Is a very rare and desirable military pistol.

From the listing, it appears to be the 9mm Steyr caliber.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    9mm Steyr and Largo are both 9mmX23mm - same length. There is a 9mmX21mm which is made for pistols in countries where civilians cannot own firearms chambered for military cartridges.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I have a 1911 and it's serialized on the lug at the front of the barrel.
    I've also seen a number that were unserialized but proofed.
    They are fine weapons and were put to hard use in the trenches.
    I've never heard a genuine collector balk much at an unnumbered armorer replacement barrel.

A long as it would put a hole in a frogs gut, Leutnant Brewer wasn't going to *.
  • Options
    jetmekjetmek Member Posts: 250
    edited November -1
    mine and all others ive seen have serialized barrels. But that's not saying all were ...Im certain that there is a European company making replacement barrels for those as ive read discussions on it on another forum....