In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

44.40 Reloading

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited May 2018 in Ask the Experts
I just picked up a Smith 544 (off GB, thanks very much) and will reload for it. I plan on keeping things on the mild side, mostly cast lead stuff. Am I correct that Smith uses a .429 diameter barrel? Are 44.40 dies set to the same .429 for case neck sizing or are they .427 - and if .427 does it make any difference?

Any other tips on reloading the 44.40 are appreciated. I hear it's a bit of a challenge to reload, then again I hear it's a piece of cake. Can't be any more of a challenge than the bottle necked stuff like 30 Luger or Sig, or thin necks like 22 Hornet, 218 Bee that I already do. I hope.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've loaded everything from ,427 to .429" with no particular trouble.
    Just be careful not to crush the thin case mouth against the die entry and be sure brass is clean and lightly lubed so as to not scratch your steel sizing die.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only ever loaded one, a custom extra long barrel pistol (a Buntline wanna be). A Lyman 427 something mold lubed in a .429 sizing die. No issues that I recall.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Just be careful not to crush the thin case mouth against the die entry and be sure brass is clean and lightly lubed so as to not scratch your steel sizing die.

No worries, when that happens my thumb is usually in the way and gets sliced up.[;)]
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse

^^ This is important ^^

I can think of a couple other things relative to the 44-40
    If you really want accuracy slug your bore as they vary.

Also be wary of revolvers as the cylinder throat diameters vary greatly.

I strongly recommend Starline brass as it is much stronger than domestic RP and WW. Can take heavy crimping required for tube fed lever-guns as well.
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It isn't just the bore diameter that can vary from gun to gun in .44-40s, but the chamber can also. Years ago I loaded up a few black powder loads for a Winchester 1873 using new brass (don't remember the brand). I had annealed the necks. Every one I tried split in the body of the case, not the necks. Checking the chamber I found it to be WAY oversize. Winchester quality control left a lot to be desired in many ways as did their record keeping.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My (relined) .44 WCF has a small chamber neck. I could load .429" bullets in WW brass, but only .428" in Starline, and only .427" in RP. My 3rd generation Colt is worse, it will not accept anything in RP cases.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ^
    Thanks all. My brass and dies showed up today and I was going to load up, but I think I'll wait until the gun shows up later this week. I'm using Starline brass.
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forget everything you?ve been told about reloading .44 WCF cartridges. Take your time and pay attention and the cases are no more fragile than any other brass case. Also, early in my reloading I was told that despite everything I had been told it wasn?t necessary to lube the cases. I was leary but gave it a try and never lubed
    another case and out of the thousands of rounds of cartridges I loaded I never had a stuck case.
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, doubled up reply