In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ortgies 32acp

spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
edited May 2018 in Ask the Experts
a friend has one of these that were of advanced design, quality construcion with few parts and well sealed....old pistol but is in good shape and belonged to his dad....i wanted to know if there was a brand of ammunition one should favor or stay away from for this...ball ammo or hp ??? any info appreciated to pass along....Thanx..

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They date to the 1920's. When ball ammo, was the only game in town. The European made, .32 ammo, (RWS), worked best. For me, last time I owned a 32. That I actually used as a shooter.

Given the age of the Ortgies, and the unknown round count. Urge him not carry it, with a round in the chamber. With just the safety engaged. I heard a story years ago of a Ortgies firing. Because of failure, of the internal safety mechanism.

EDIT #1,

It's been many years, since I owned a Ortgies 32. My understanding regarding their internal problems. Causing them to discharge inadvertently. Is that when cocked, with a round in the chamber. The only thing restraining the striker/firing pin mechanism. Is the grip safety.

If that is worn or breaks, that all she wrote. Given that the Ortgies pistols are at least 90 years old. I wouldn't have a heck of s lot of faith in the grip safety. Don't carry it, loaded with a round in the chamber,
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sound advice from Rufe, as always - ball ammo.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one in very good condition that I inherited from Dad. It still shoots well. I have to admit I shoot only ball so I don't know if it would work with flat nose or hollow points. But, still, another good example of quality German manufacture.
  • Options
    sprintsprint Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can vouch for what rufe-snow said about unexpected firing. I have one that likes to go off for no reason and will not sell it to anyone for that reason.

Sprint
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortgies_Semi-Automatic_Pistol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2mvXuJuwPY

Magazines can often be tuned to specific ammo or try different ammo to see what it likes. It doesn't take much damage to render a magazine less than reliable.

These pistols can often have firing issues as noted. There might replacement parts made with more modern steel and heat treatment.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't use anything but ball ammo in any .32; preferably Fiocchi which is a little hotter than US makes.