In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W 10-6 .357magnum

hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
edited May 2018 in Ask the Experts
Need help with the value of a 1972-74 model 10-6 in .357 one of 3000 made for the New York state police,started out life with a blue finish sent back to the factory and refinished in nickel.Square butt 4 inch barrel excellent condition with factory letter,no box. I found nothing in the completed auctions.Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No offense. But the salient point regarding it's value, IMHO. Would be the authenticity, of the factory letter. Nowadays with laser printers, and various computer software programs. That are readily available to anyone. Any 10 year old kid, could knock out a "factory letter"

Even if Smith was substantiated, as refinishing it in Nickle. It's value would be substantially diminished. Collector buying it as a limited production, NYSP issue revolver. Would balk at the Nickel finish. .
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like most refinished firearms, it's value is based upon it's suitability as a "shooter". I would expect it to sell for $300-400.

Neal
  • Options
    khornetkhornet Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    are you sure it's a 357, I thought all model 10's were 38 spl
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 1974 the New York State Troopers were issued Smith & Wesson Model 28, .357 Magnum...from 1962 until 1973 the Troopers carried Colt ?Official Police? in .38 spl.

I stand corrected...from 1972-1973-Smith and Wesson Model 10-6, .357mag, 4"bbl, blue -no marking

From the New York State Police,

http://nytroopershistory.com/FIREARMS.php
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Appreciate the responses no offense taken,gentleman brought it into the shop to put on consignment I have no knowledge of this revolver.Pretty sure the letter is authentic but will check to be positive. I agree with the diminished value because of the refinish. Thanks guys!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by khornet

Until today I did to
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ltcdoty
    In 1974 the New York State Troopers were issued Smith & Wesson Model 28, .357 Magnum...from 1962 until 1973 the Troopers carried Colt ?Official Police? in .38 spl.

I stand corrected...from 1972-1973-Smith and Wesson Model 10-6, .357mag, 4"bbl, blue -no marking

From the New York State Police,

http://nytroopershistory.com/FIREARMS.php

Agree this is what the factory letter states and that it was sent back to be refinished
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Page 206 of the SWSC states that about 1,200 Model 10s in 357 Magnum were made for the NY staties. Heavy barrel, pinned, with the somewhat rounded "plainclothes" stocks as seen on the Model 58. Should have a .400 smooth combat trigger and .375 checkered hammer spur. Chambers should be counterbored.

Too bad it's refinished, SWSC calls the chambering "rare" and 1,200 is a fairly low production. Book doesn't give a value. Not the best comparison I suppose, but Model 520 production was 3,000 and SWSC puts like new value at $1,000.00

A thread in the S&W forum on the gun:
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1961-1980/356698-model-10-6-357-magnum.html
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by khornet

They're not.

There are a relatively small number of models 10 chambered in .357 out there. I've seen such a gun myself. A gun dealer near Springfield MA (where Smiths are made) showed me one. Gun was labelled model 10, but also 357 on barrel. Dealer told me that a 357 dropped into the chamber fine.