In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

rifle aol question

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
edited May 2018 in Ask the Experts
hello, I have an u.s. m1 carbine. I have a older iver Johnson paratrooper stock I would like to put on it. the metal wire collapsible stock part is missing. so at this time the stock has a pistol grip and verticle forgrip. the overall length like this make it 26 1/4 inches overall length. from what ive read, this should be legal to shoot as is, being that it complies with the legal barrel and overall length. please inform me if I'm good to go? thanks

Comments

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it makes +26" OAL then you're fine federally. Some states, CA for example, have different minimum OAL lengths and measure from the "closed" position.
  • Options
    redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in the south east, so not worried so much about cali, NY, or Md laws. BUT? what do you mean by closed position? thought that was something my girlfriend use on me!
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "closed position" means with the stock folded closed.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

True !

The oal = 26 with a min. 16 inch bbl !!!! Federal law ....

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redman.com1
    I'm in the south east, so not worried so much about cali, NY, or Md laws. BUT? what do you mean by closed position? thought that was something my girlfriend use on me!

Under federal law, in order to be a rifle, a firearm must have a butt stock. If there is no butt stock then the firearm is something other than a rifle. To correctly measure the over all length of a rifle with a folding/telescoping stock, the stock is extended and the AOL is measured. An AOL below 26 inches is allowed with the stock folded/retracted, but the stock must be present on the rifle (not detached). If the stock is removed or detached and the AOL is below 26 inches then you have a Short Barreled Rifle, or possibly an Any Other Weapon, depending on how the firearm is configured.

Based on your description, you are okay at 26-1/4 inches...but don't go below that.