In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

P238 Sig Sauer safety

sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
edited May 2018 in Ask the Experts
Wife wanted to know about safety...
What is the best way to carry a loaded Sig Sauer P238 in 380?
Safety off, hammer cocked, round in chamber is the fastest thing for target acquisition. Carrying it, obviously the safety needs to be on!!
Is it better to have the hammer cocked with safety on or not have it cocked? Not familiar with the hammer to firing pin arrangement, and know with some it is better to have hammer cocked on safe.
Thanks, David from jax

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless your wife carries it in a holster. That is specifically designed, to carry the P238 in the cocked and locked mode. I would carry it with a loaded round in the chamber, with the hammer down. She would than have to manually cock the hammer, before it would be fireable.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NEVER carry any 1911 style pistol with the hammer cocked and safety off, holstered or not.

In the proper holster, that P238, is safe to carry cocked and locked(round chambered, and safety on). For purse or pocket carry, full magazine, empty chamber, and safety off.

There are no other ways. Trying to lower the hammer on a loaded chamber, itself promotes the danger of an accidental discharge...DON'T DO IT.

I might suggest instead of just carrying this gun, that it is practiced with using these methods, to become proficient.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I went into Sig Sauer website and found the downloadable manual for the gun. Seems the hammer should be cocked as is with my Colt 1911.
    Thanks for the replies,
    David from jax
    Copied from manaul...
    The single action only trigger, in combination with the thumb safety, ensures safe
    carrying of the weapon and provides instant readiness when needed.
    The automatic firing pin safety blocks the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled.
    The hammer safety intercept notch prevents the hammer from contacting the
    firing pin unless the trigger is pulled.

Never lower the hammer by pulling the trigger and attempting to ease the
    hammer forward manually. Manually lowering the hammer is dangerous and
    prevents full application of the pistol?s safety features. Accidental discharge
    could result, causing injury, death or damage to property.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tsr1965,
    For purse or pocket carry, why does the safety need to be off? Just curious, as it probably doesn't make a lot of difference in the safety aspect, but probably speeds up the actual firing of the gun because you don't have to click safety off before chambering a round. Wife just left with firearm so I can't check if the slide can be moved with safety on. I will have to look at when the slide can be retracted.
    Thanks, David from jax
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandman2234
    tsr1965,
    For purse or pocket carry, why does the safety need to be off? Just curious, as it probably doesn't make a lot of difference in the safety aspect, but probably speeds up the actual firing of the gun because you don't have to click safety off before chambering a round. Wife just left with firearm so I can't check if the slide can be moved with safety on. I will have to look at when the slide can be retracted.
    Thanks, David from jax

As you say, so the gun can get put into play sooner...however, there is a safety aspect. That is the possibility of getting the safety off sooner, so you don't become a victim. The gun is perfectly safe with no round in the chamber, so the manual safety needs not to be employed. But for consistency sake of a newer shooter, if you can go with the safety on, then go.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandman2234
    tsr1965,
    Thanks, David from jax

The slide can be operated with the safety on, same as the 938 which is becoming my personal favorite for carry. I carry mine in a holster, round in with the hammer cocked, safety on.

I suppose this is more of a question than an assertion, but a woman carrying unloaded with the hammer back - any chance something in the handbag can get in between the frame and the hammer, come out with the drawn gun & prevent the hammer from falling completely, or have to be pulled off before the gun can go "bang"? Elastic band for hair, etc? I've got no idea what the girls keep in there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I also keep my hands out of my Wife's bag, but since it isn't a "carry purse", and we have access to a upholstery shop, it is easy enough to sew a pattern into the dedicated slot in her purse that carries her firearm. That keeps other stuff out of the moving parts of the firearm.
    Thanks, David from jax
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Given a holster - belt, pocket, or purse - that shields the trigger and safety, the gun is best kept in Cooper Condition One.
    Magazine loaded, chamber loaded, hammer cocked, safety engaged.
    With proper technique AND PRACTICE there is NO delay, the safety is disengaged between the draw and target acquisition.

The P238 looks like a small 1911 to a casual glance, but the gun is mechanically more like a Spanish Star. In particular, the thumb safety blocks the hammer, not just the sear. It is very secure.

No sort of gun loose in a purse with all the usual paraphernalia is either safe or ready for action, she needs a holster.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Given a holster - belt, pocket, or purse - that shields the trigger and safety, the gun is best kept in Cooper Condition One.
    Magazine loaded, chamber loaded, hammer cocked, safety engaged.
    With proper technique AND PRACTICE there is NO delay, the safety is disengaged between the draw and target acquisition.

No sort of gun loose in a purse with all the usual paraphernalia is either safe or ready for action, she needs a holster.

She now has one...thanks!
    David from jax