In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Selling a Collection question

Fazer1Fazer1 Member Posts: 332
edited May 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have a question regarding selling some guns and I would appreciate others views on the subject.

I am getting older and have to think about getting rid of the collection before I fall off the perch, as I only have a daughter who would like a few of them but not a hundred plus.

Most of the pieces are top of the line or close to. I hate breaking up the groups. Would there be a buyer for a group of related guns. Like a dozen Colt Lightnings or 1885 Winchesters. Somebody could get a ready made collection with out spending the time it takes to amass them.

How does one market something like this. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    a seller here user name locust fork
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My personal thought would that you would realize more by selling them individually. A collection would involve a large sum of money. A collector would be more likely to pay more for an individual piece to fill a slot in his collection. I have an agreement with a local FFL to sell my collection individually here on GunBroker for a 10% fee.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    I agree. Anytime you can break up whatever it is, into its individual parts, it will sell better.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Top 100 rated seller on GB and a moderator of forums and an honest and caring women...

Seller locust fork - contact her with no angst or regret.

Take my word on it please - you will not find better folk on the earth - she is the queen and has a heart of gold.

Mike
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with all of the above regarding breaking up the groups and can vouch for the advice regarding Locust Fork, also.

As far as selling groups of similar guns, consider, when the big auction houses get large collections of high end guns, do they sell them individually or in groups? I have never seen them sell groups. That should help answer your question.
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kasey (Locust Fork) has sold some high end Colts for me. She is in Alabama. You could probably make arrangements to meet and go over the collection. Sounds like shipping would be very expensive.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd drive them there in a camper. The price of shipping vs gas could be as few as 10 units, maybe 20.
  • Options
    cowboy77845cowboy77845 Member Posts: 316 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe Kasey has a large client base. Most of my sales through Locust Fork have brought me about 20% more than I expected. She is great to deal with and keeps one informed.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at it this way. If you sell a dozen Lightenings as a group, you are looking for the one or three guys in the country who would buy such a group. Sold individually, there would be a hundred interested and half that competing for the bid.

I have bought and sold with Locust Fork. If you are a distance away shipping will kill you. Do drive them there.
  • Options
    Fazer1Fazer1 Member Posts: 332
    edited November -1
    Thanks gentlemen. You have said what I really believed was true. But it's hard to put all the years and effort getting them together, then have to piece them out. I was kind of hoping for a miracle I guess.