In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 100 & 88

GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
edited May 2018 in Ask the Experts
Will the Winchester models 100 and 88 magazines interchange?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got the below off the net. It's the mother lode, on the 88 & 100. According to him, the 88 mag will work OK in the 100. But the mags themselves are a nightmare. As Win. tweeked them for different calibers. Best read the whole thing, if your rifle is anything other than the most common 243 or .308.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun Articles/winchester_model_88_100_info.html
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Model 88 will not hold bolt open on a 100 following last round. .284 feed lips and follower differ, feed on .358.

Rufe, very good info, thanks for the link!

Edit: Regarding aftermarket magazines, I have had good results with the "Colyer Clips" mags. I think the .308/.243 say they hold 8 rounds, but have worked fine for me with 10 and the .284 claim 7 rounds but have worked with 8 or 9.
  • GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info!
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 1st year 100 and a 1st year 88, both in 308. The factory magazines will interchange but as mentioned if you use 88 mags in a 100 the bolt will not stay to the rear after the final shot. I hesitate to state an absolute, but don't buy aftermarket magazines. I've tried a few and they don't work well. The last one I bought from Numrich wouldn't even seat in either of the rifles. The repros aren't exactly cheap either.

Edit: I agree with the above regarding Clymer magazines - and if I could find one I'd sure as heck snag it. [:)]