In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Enfield Rifle ID

dustinfoxdustinfox Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
edited May 2018 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me something more about my Enfield rifle? It is an import from CAI in Georgia VT but I would like to kmow more about what the other markings mean. The stock markings are pretty worn but I did my best to get some legible photos. Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on its origins.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10CHe_5iaskgvGdhKdSq1tPxcVv7V1bmk?usp=sharing

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, the markings aren't visible in your photos. All that I can actually make out. Is that it's probably a No. 4 Mark 1. Millions were made from the 30's to the 50's.

Need all various markings. To say who made it and what specific model, etc.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Google Enfield rifle Identification. .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    Google Enfield rifle Identification. .

Yes of course... that's the first thing I did.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's hard to see the markings. Took me a while to figure out how to blow up your pic's. You might try some chalk in the metal one.

Looks in way better shape than the one I bought for $5 as a kid back in the 70's.

How is the bore? If you have shot it how does the spent brass look?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Sorry, the markings aren't visible in your photos. All that I can actually make out. Is that it's probably a No. 4 Mark 1. Millions were made from the 30's to the 50's.

Need all various markings. To say who made it and what specific model, etc.

On the underside, behind the trigger, there is a "BL" then "74" then a crown, then a "M"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    It's hard to see the markings. Took me a while to figure out how to blow up your pic's. You might try some chalk in the metal one.

Looks in way better shape than the one I bought for $5 as a kid back in the 70's.

I actually have not shot it. The bore is clean and shinny. The metal markings are pretty clear. It'd the ones on the stock that are hard to make out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007

The pics should "blow up" with a standard double click.

If I could just deduce where it was manufactured and the approximate year that would be helpful.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Made in 1943.

Doubt it's a BSA (all my BSA's are stamped BSA)

I got one photo to open - that of the metal band at the wrist. That's where the maker's mark is found. Can't get any others to open.

Edit: http://www.allaboutenfields.co.nz/no4s/no4-mki/

Edit2: AE 1060 suggests ROF Maltby as the builder.

Edit3: The bolt and original magazine are 'numbered' to the receiver. As I posted, the number on the metal band @ the wrist is the 'serial number'. I'd suspect the original barrel would be 'numbered' to the rifle too.

IMO the 'import stamp' indicates the era the rifle was imported. Plenty of Enfields were imported in the '80s and '90s.

If you search 'Enfield' and/or 'No 4 MK 1' on the auction side of Gun Broker, you will find plenty of examples to base a price on. One good 'thing' about your rifle, it hasn't been Sporterized.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    Made in 1943.

Doubt it's a BSA (all my BSA's are stamped BSA)

I got one photo to open - that of the metal band at the wrist. That's where the maker's mark is found. Can't get any others to open.

Edit: http://www.allaboutenfields.co.nz/no4s/no4-mki/

Edit2: AE 1060 suggests ROF Maltby as the builder.

Thanks... Do you know if this means anything in terms of its value? It's a C.A.I. import so nothing special. Also, how many serial numbers should I look for to see if any of them match? Looks like they might be worn off.