In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

mini 30 falling apart

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in Ask the Experts
my 189 series mini 30 is coming apart almost every time i fire it. the trigger group unlatches and falls out. this is a stainless ranch rifle with a very low round count. ive examined the trigger group and latch and every thing looks normal, fits smoothly in the gun and locks securely. works as normal when cycled by hand. anyone have an idea about this.

Comments

• Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call Ruger the best customer service in the business.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    Call Ruger the best customer service in the business.

+1,

Years ago in callie. A coworker, who didn't know any better. Shot Chinese, steel case, corrosive ammo in his Mini 30. Without cleaning it. With the expected results.

It was frozen solid, but he soaked it in liquid wrench. So that the
    bolt would move. The barrel was rusted, internally though. He contacted Ruger. They advised him to send it in. They would fix it, but was going to be on his dime. Not theirs.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't count the number of Mini 14/30's I've had to "un-freeze" because they were stored after shooting and not cleaned. The piston gets corrosion welded to the gas block.
    varian, trigger guard drop is a fairly common problem on the Mini. On re-assembly, if you don't have to pop it hard to lock with your palm, the trigger guard needs a little tweak to tighten it up. Seems to be more common in the syn stocks. Some have shimmed the action to tighten it up too.
    Always have the safety on when you drop the TG. Not doing that is the main cause of the TG getting bent to where it won't lock tight enough to hold on recoil.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like TRAP55 mentioned about "popping back the trigger guard" you might wanna go one step more by bending the trigger guard out a bit so when snapped back in place there is more pressure. You really have to pop and hear the trigger guard pop in to place.

I never had this issue with mine in a Hogue stock but I do bend the trigger guard out a bit before putting her back together.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Indeed, I tell my folks here who have been issued them, "It's a military-based design, it'll take a solid rap to lock up tight."

I also have them give a light tug on the trigger guard to make sure all is good and secure. So far, 65+ guns issued with zero probs.