In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Trooper MK lll 22lr

tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Ask the Experts
A LNIB Blued 4in Trooper MK lll in 22LR has shown up at the local pawn shop SER Y12xxx. I believe the DOM to be 79-80.

They are asking $1150 tax included.
I am unsure as to the value. The ones on the auction side have BIN prices well over 1150 but no takers.

A MK lll 22LR has been on my like to have list for a while now and this is a nice one.
The box is correct but not LN.
The gun looks to be LN maybe unfired with good grain figuring in the grips.

I may offer 850 and go as high as 950.
Comments and opinions appreciated.
Thank You

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't pay any attention, to the "Buy it now prices". Go to the completed auctions, to see the actual selling prices.

Make the pawnbroker an offer, based on the prices.

My experience, with a out of production Colt pistol. That is in excellent condition. Is you better jump on it. The next time you run across one. Likely to be even more expensive.
  • Options
    deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm still regretting (40 years later)not grabbing a Winchester '86 in .50 caliber. It was a bit 'too high price'. Funny thing is I always seemed to be able to make money but never learned the art of making a .50 cal '86......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes the BIN price is meaningless if nobody buys it now.
    That is why I say I am unsure of the value since I have seen no takers of the BIN option.

How do I get to the GB completed auction site?

I do save to view later guns of interest that have bids on them to see what they sold for.
    I haven't seen any 22lr MK llls being bid on except for a nickeled one since this one peaked my interest.

I agree rufesnow. The 4 double action Colts I paid what I thought was a lot for at the time(Python, Trooper MK V, Lawman MK V, and Cobra)have been great investments.
    The Python would bring more than what I spent in total for them.

I just put the funds together to order a Browning Hells Canyon in 6.5 Creedmoor.
    What he hell I can always get the Browning.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tone59
    Yes the BIN price is meaningless if nobody buys it now.
    That is why I say I am unsure of the value since I have seen no takers of the BIN option.

How do I get to the GB completed auction site?

I do save to view later guns of interest that have bids on them to see what they sold for.
    I haven't seen any 22lr MK llls being bid on except for a nickeled one since this one peaked my interest.

I agree rufesnow. The 4 double action Colts I paid what I thought was a lot for at the time(Python, Trooper MK V, Lawman MK V, and Cobra)have been great investments.
    The Python would bring more than what I spent in total for them.

I just put the funds together to order a Browning Hells Canyon in 6.5 Creedmoor.
    What he hell I can always get the Browning.

To get to the completed auctions. That show the actual selling prices. You first, have to be a registered member of the GB auctions. Than click on the, "Advanced Search" at top of the page. When in AS mode, click "Completed Auctions". Fill in all the info, on the guns you are searching for. They will show all, that have been listed in auctions. Including the ones that have actually sold, with selling prices.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you sort the completed auctions by highest number of bids, those that actually sold will be easier to find. There will be two groups of them.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On value of Colt revolvers, they're never going to be made again, they're part of American history and will probably always be collectible. Its amazing to me how much today's "high price" always seems to end up like tomorrows "bargain".

Checking completed auctions one recent one with box sold at true auction (ie starting at one cent) for $1000. If the one you're looking at has correct box and is in good shape, I think $950 is fair. I doubt you'll find one for much less than that.

On the actual gun, this is subjective, but I don't actually care for it. Its a beautiful LOOKING gun, for sure, with nice bluing and classic Colt lines.

Colt MkIII Trooper is built like a brick (in a good way). Its probably the heaviest .22 I've ever shot.

Don't care for the sights or trigger, either ergonomics or pull weight (which IIRC is pretty heavy). As a "trainer" for the other Colts, this is OK, but on its own merits as a .22 revolver to actually shoot for fun or accuracy, I strongly prefer the Smith model 17, which I find a lot easier to shoot well.

All that said, most people buy these guns for collecting and pride of ownership, and rarely shoot them. Gun is "fine" for that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you rufe-snow I was able to view the completed auctions. Very helpful.
    Next I will try what oldWinchester suggested.

Like Beantown I too like the Smiths
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Its gone. Someone liked it more than me.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry Tone, been there. Sometimes you just have to jump. I have won several, and paid more than I could ever get back on several. It seems to even out. If it really gets your eye, get it.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tone59
    A LNIB Blued 4in Trooper MK lll in 22LR has shown up at the local pawn shop SER Y12xxx. I believe the DOM to be 79-80.

They are asking $1150 tax included.
    I am unsure as to the value. The ones on the auction side have BIN prices well over 1150 but no takers.

A MK lll 22LR has been on my like to have list for a while now and this is a nice one.
    The box is correct but not LN.
    The gun looks to be LN maybe unfired with good grain figuring in the grips.

I may offer 850 and go as high as 950.
    Comments and opinions appreciated.
    Thank You

A bit of supposition on my part but - had you been in the store when the owner pawned/sold it you would have heard from the store owner that "no one likes these in 22 - if it was a 357 it would be worth something" and the same said regarding its 4" barrel vs a 6". According to my few years old Blue Book a LNIB MkIII goes for about $600.00. I know BB doesn't count for much today with Colts, but did the seller know that?

If you want it you'll get it, nothing wrong with offering low and moving up.