In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WINCHESTER Factory Letter Question

Comments

• Options
    capguncapgun Member Posts: 1,848
    edited November -1
    I have an early Winchester 1906 with a 860 serial number. It has a later replacement s,l,lr barrel and carrier. However the receiver has Winchester factory proof marks on it Which would not have been original to the rifle when it was made in 1906. So I am speculating that the rifle was originally short only, then later shipped back to winchester and converted to s,l,lr. Where they then stamped proof marks on the barrel and receiver. Note that this receiver is original to the rifle w/matching numbers.

My question is, If this was a factory modification will a letter from the museum reflect this?
    img2699q.jpg

img1067y.jpg
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only forum can view.
  • Options
    1873man1873man Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't view the letter either but I have heard of this before. First thing is to contact Cody and have them verify the information. If it is what is written in the ledger then it would be a error when it was recorded.

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, call or email Cody. Not only can there be errors in the ledgers, sometimes there can be typos on the letter. I've had two reissued.
  • Options
    capguncapgun Member Posts: 1,848
    edited November -1
    It states received in warehouse 9-18-1903 and shipped from warehouse 9-2-1903 "as per record".
  • Options
    JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's the image. My bet is a typo in the original, and that's why the letter says "as per record."

Sorry for the large size, but it's not my image,

564066d1527900885-wts-winchester-model-1894-38-55-caliber-circa-1903-img_2313.jpg
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too have experienced a number of errors in Winchester letters from Cody. About half have been Cody's fault: typos, they looked up the wrong model, etc. The other half were due to errors in the Winchester source records. I recently requested a letter on a Model 1892 and when it came it listed the caliber as .38-56. Since that cartridge is way too large to fit in a '92,I suspected they looked up an 1886 by mistake and contacted Cody. They replied that .38-56 is what is listed in the Winchester records. When you consider the variety of guns being produced,the volumes, and the fact that all the records were being kept by hand, it isn't surprising that some errors were made.