In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W Model 41 Magazine

A-37A-37 Member Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have a magazine with a missing pin (undisclosed defect when I bought it)and will make one. Not sure how to disassemble the magazine. It appears that the stop pin at the top of the slot is the key to disassembly. If so, how do I remove it? Grab it with pliers and pull it out?

S&W calls the "magazine pin" the pin with two knurled ends that are pushed down to help load the magazine.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Different generations of 41 mags. If you have the one with the 2 stake marks on either side, near the base?

You would have to use a very fine point screwdriver at the spine to get the base plate started. Best to soak it in Kroil, to free up the base plate. Once started a larger screwdriver will be able to get the base further out.

Once the base plate, and mag spring are out. Follower can be pushed down. Till it lines up with the large round hole, to get the follower button out.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    A-37A-37 Member Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I don't know how I missed that button on the bottom.

Disassembled and cleaned all parts and made a new pin on my trusty South Bend 9" lathe. First order of business was making the bushing that fits in the follower.

The screw was made by modifying the head of a 6-32 stainless socket head screw (the head of a 4-40 screw is just too small) then turning the threads down to 4-40 so the screw slipped easily in the magazine slots and through the bushing. The "nut" is just a piece of 3/16" SS rod tapped for the 4-40 threads. A spot of LocTite secures the nut.

Too bad stainless steel can't be blued.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    brownells Aluma-hyde may be more black but i have used on several diff items including an all stainless steel 22 pistol....it had a factory blackened finish that was wore so i cleaned it , sprayed an even coat and put it on a rod support in a toaster oven at 250* for 30 minutes ...satisfied with results