In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CCW carry auto?

KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
Thinking of getting a CCW...but what to get....I want an auto, .380 minimum, $250 min - $500-600 max. not interested in kel-tecs (have one).thinking of...walther ppk,sig 230makarovany opinions on the above or on others?

Comments

• Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    My recommendation:Llama .380 Mdl IIIA if you can find one.I have had one for 20 years no problems with it.It is linked not blowback! Just a shrunken down 1911. With all the 1911 safeties.Nunn has one on the auction I was thinking about bidding on. http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=2317808
    Home of the Blue Angels, P'colaSemper Adveho Absconditus[This message has been edited by 22WRF (edited 10-29-2001).]
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Browning 9mm Hi-Power, the original double stacker, created by the Master, John Moses Browning. Later perfected then in production for over 65 years. Also available in .40SW. In my opinion it's the most elegantly styled double stacker on the market that has years of proven reliability. My carry choice, 9mm with 17+1 magazines, matte chrome plated and Speigel custom grips in a Bianchi leather thumbsnap.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    The Hi Power is a good selection. I like the Glock 19,23 and the Kahr P9. All with in your price range if you are a good shopper. For the .380 I would go with a Walther PPK. My 2 cents.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I would not buy the Llama or the Glock. The Kahr, Walther, Browning, or Sig are good choices. I would look at the Beretta Cougers also. You may consider a Bersa or a Ruger on the lower end. They are good guns. The Kimber is probably out of the $600 range, but look at it anyway. Make a list of wants and don't wants such as caliber, action (single, double, or DAO), material (steel, stainless, or composite), and size (full, compact, subcompact) and then see what guns fit your wants. Then, see if you can go to a range that rents guns and try out what you like best.Take your time and you will be satisfied!
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For light carry I would recomend the Colt Defender .45. It is light, easy to carry and shot cap(7+1) in a single stacker is pretty tuff to beat. If not, a good Sig or Browning Hi power will fit the criteria nicely.
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Commander lightweight. Nothing smaller than a .40cal/10MM. IMHO the 9MM's have a large magazine because it takes more hits to put someone down. Shot placement is a good idea but sometimes hard to do under stress. BTDT.Mudge
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS![This message has been edited by mudge (edited 10-29-2001).]
  • Options
    Christian B.Christian B. Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry concealed everyday in a higher temperature enviornment. I've found that with the help of a cover shirt and an inside waistband kydex, I can carry my Sig 229 or my Glock 26, without anyone knowing anything is there.I'm looking at expanding my collection to include a Kahr(especially good for concealment) or a compact 1911.It's my opinion that you should shoot several models, and get a feel for a gun that you like. Once you've got a gun that feels right for you, then worry about the concealment issue. I've got a huge variety of concealment items... we can hide a .357 with a 4inch barrel effectively and comfortably. My $.02 is find the gun then devise the system for concealment. If I can hide a glock and a sig everyday, with spare mags, flashlight, and knife... anything can be done.christianps. I'm not one of the most experienced members... but I've made it a priority to learn something everyday.
  • Options
    ksp771ksp771 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Romanian Carpati in a .380 ACP that I carry. It is similar to a Walther ppk/s. I have two of these in stock if you are interested. It comes with a holster and two mags. $140.00 free shipping.
  • Options
    chesuschesus Member Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glock 23 is the best bang for the buck by far. It may be ugly but it will last longer than you will.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mudge is correctLW Commander in 45cpermd
  • Options
    AlerionAlerion Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, since the ex isn't around to tell me what I can and can't buy anymore, my gun collection currently numbers 17 (with #18 on the way). Sizes range from a Ruger 22/45 to a Colt Government Model. Out of the lot, my first choice for concealed carry is my Kahr K40. When that's too big I go to an AMT .380 Backup and for shorts and T-shirt wear, a P-32 in a wallet holster. But first choice is always the Kahr (in a Milts Sparks Versa Max 2 holster.) The Kahr is as small as I can go in an accurate full power gun with real sights. The AMT and Kel-Tec are for when either is respectively the largest gun I can carry and I don't want to go nekkid! (and I very rarely do!)Back in the days when I was working for a police department that required us to carry revolvers, I carried my S&W Model 36 (60 in stainless) Chief's Special. That would still be my first choice for CC if I grabbed a revolver. Tom
    Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
  • Options
    5-shooter5-shooter Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want simple, inexpensive and reliable, get the Makarov. I've had both Baikal and Imez, and they've worked flawlessly with all ammo from CCI Blazers to Cor-Bon jhp. Never a misfire. Major limitation, though, is the mag capacity of 8+1.