In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.40 cal for Wife?

Friday97Friday97 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I am looking for some insight regarding women firing a .40 cal handgun. My only experience with handguns is with the 9mm Beretta. I feel that she could handle this weapon with no problem, but I'm not sure if she would be able to handle a .40 cal (preferably a Glock 22), since I have never fired one.Anyone have any knowledge or experience on this subject?Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    My last girl friend fired a Berreta Cougar .45. I believe that the .40 in a Glock or a Berreta would be just fine as long as you are not useing P or +P rounds.My 2 cents
  • Options
    rayl380rayl380 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    More importantly, is she enthusiastic about learning to shoot a handgun? That will be the most important factor. In terms of recoil and muzzle blast the .40 is not a quantum leap from the 9mm, unless you're shooting hot loads. Again, your wife's enthusiasm will determine the quality of her experience. She can easily handle a .40 if she wants to.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys!She is excited about getting a handgun (Of course, not as excited as me!). My other concern is if she will be able to hold it comfortably. She is 5'4" but she liked the way the 92FS Beretta fit in her hand. Is the Glock 22 handgrip comparable to the 92FS?Thanks again I really appreciate it! [This message has been edited by Friday97 (edited 10-29-2001).]
  • Options
    bigbossmanbigbossman Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Glock is a great self-defense gun for those who are thoroughly familiar with it. Please instruct your wife carefully in the safety system on the Glock, and be sure that she understands how it works and how easy it is to fire one off without meaning to until you are used to it. The Beretta, either in DAO or a standard one with the safety set-up might be a better choice for a new shooter. My 2 cents are in for safety -food for thought. Be Safe.......
    Fight Crime- Shoot Back, and Better !!!
  • Options
    chesuschesus Member Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a young fellow and only own a few guns, but I have shot a variety. The glock 22 is an excellent weapon but make sure you look into the glock 23 too. It is smaller than the 22. Better for girlie hands? Definately better for for her gucci handbag. Don't buy an H and K pistol.
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in a little late on this one but here's my 02 worth. My wife shoots a 5906 (s&w 9mm). I carry a 4006 I've shot both of them quite a bit and there is very little difference. My daughter (14) got to shoot my 40 at the range a week or 2 ago and she outshot a fellow officer on bowling pins. He was quite embarrassed and I did not rub it in at all. Have her keep a stiff wrist and the gun will pretty much absorb the recoil. Make sure you get her top of the line hearing protection. I've seen a few people put off by handguns early in their shooting careers by the very loud report of them. My brother in law insisted on shooting my 4" 357 without "ears" I really pleaded with him. He was a manly man tho and 1 shot was all he ever fired from my 686.
  • Options
    USMCUSMC Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chesus told you not to buy a HK. This guns quality and accurate shooting would make it a much better choice than any glock. I have yet to hear rave reviews about Glocks quality or accuracy. Avid shooters know HK makes a very fine handgun. The police use Glocks because of cost. The 40 cal. is what my wife shot this week and an HK USP Compact in 40cal is what she will use as her CCW.
  • Options
    ishootblanksishootblanks Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a noticeable difference in recoil between the 9mm and the 40S&W. Some have said that the recoil in a 40 is snappier than a 45. I am not recoil sensative, but if your wife is, I would suggest the 9mm. The size and weight of the handgun beside the caliber will determine the felt recoil. If you already have the Beretta 9mm, let her try that for recoil and go from there.
    Without the NRA, the second ammendment would already be gone!
  • Options
    KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just because she is a women means nothing.... i have seen a women handle the recoil of a 44 mag better then her husband at the range. and she was very petite....have her go through the same steps you would if you were getting the gun
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a new suggestion, if money is not the issue, then you would be doing yourself and the little lady a dis-service by not looking at the SIG's. They are made thinner than most pistols on the market and are conducive to smaller hands. Their quality is second to none and for some reason, I can shoot mine better than everything else I have. The HK compact is also a valid suggestion. My wife can shoot my full size USP in .40 with no problem. I think she is probably the same size as your wife. If you are going as far to look at Glocks, go a little further and look at the HK and SIG's. (After all, they ARE carried by the Navy Seals!!!)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replies!!!I guess I have some more research to do. I don't have the Beretta, otherwise I would let her try it and she how she likes it. However, on the safety side, I do appreciate the comment about the double action feature. Thanks. Money is somewhat of a limiting factor, but it might be possible to convince her to spend that much on a handgun. We shall see. Thanks again, I never realized how many responses I would receive in one day!!!
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If she was ok with the 92FS the 96 is about the same size & weight. It also is a quality gun. I would also not hesitate to buy, Sig, H&K or Para Ordinance. All good quality firearms. RG
  • Options
    gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I totally agree with Kadaver. A woman can handle a gun just as well as a man. Most times, better. My wife, who is also 5'4" and petite, handles a .45 like a pro. It's more a matter of the woman's preference. My 2 cents say Sig.-Marcus
  • Options
    loweryb221loweryb221 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    USMC said he had not heard any rave reviews on Glock accuracy and performance: what rock has he been living under? I think the gentleman who suggested you not buy an H&K was referencing their thicker than normal grip, not the gun's functionality. The Glocks also have a large grip, which fits me perfectly but may not someone else. My suggestion would be to let her go to a gunshow (or a range) where she could pick up both a Beretta and a Glock and see what fits her hand the best. Rememeber, although you may prefer the Glock (as do I) you said you were buying this handgun for her, so you must get what feels best to her in order for her to feel comfortable in shooting it. I also agree with the other poster that suggested looking into one of the smaller Glock .40's like the 23 or 27. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replies.Now that I am confused on what weapon to buy, I feel that your opinions could help in this matter.I forgot to mention that although this handgun is for her (everything is for her, ), it is also for myself. We (she) have decided that we will only get one for both of us. So I need to make sure she likes and can handle the one I choose. But now, I'm not sure what to buy. Before, I had only looked at the Beretta and the Glock, but now I have read a decent amount about the Sig P226. I haven't read about the Hk's yet, but I will this afternoon.Now, I guess I should start another thread, but I would like to know, if money wasn't too much of an option, what is the best weapon in the .40 cal, out of the four manufactures, Beretta, Glock, SIG, and HK?The handgun will be used for mainly home protection, but I would love to start making this a hobby.Thanks again, Guys!