In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

which rem 700?

moses25moses25 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
i've been impressed with the quality and accuracy of this rifle and i was thinking of purchasing one. any opinions on which model/caliber????

Comments

• Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    moses25-Pretty wide open question. I have to ask, what do you want the rifle for?I mean the Sendaro is grreat for long range hunting, but it would be quite a load packing up and dowm mountains. The .22-250 VSS heavy barrel is a great varmit gun, but poor for black bear hunts.Specify what your needs are and you will probably answer your own question.
  • Options
    SNIPER1048SNIPER1048 Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MOSES25: THE BEST REMINGTON 700 ON THE MARKET RIGHT NOW IS THE SENDERO. HAND FITTED BY THE CUSTOM SHOP. IT EITHER GROUPS UNDER 1" OR IT NEVER LEAVES THE FACTORY. MINE IS 300 WIN MAG. AT 200 YARDS YOU CAN COVER THE GROUP UP WITH A QUARTER. FOR A REAL HEAD TURNER GET THE STAINLESS FLUTED 26" BARREL WITH A SS SCOPE AND RINGS. BLACK SYN. STOCK FOR THE WEIRD LOOK. NOT CHEAP BUT THE FIRST TIME SOME BODY OFFERS TO BUY IT OFF YOU; GET A BIG SMILE!
    "START THE BALL ROLLING THERE, TECTOR"
  • Options
    BHliu11BHliu11 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    moses25 I have both Rem 700 and 710. When I am out hunting, I prefer my 710 since it is light weight yet accurate. 700 is a little bigger and a bit heavier. It depends on what you are going to use it for. I use them for both Deer and bear with different grain. 168 gr for deer and 185 for bear. Haven't shot a bear yet so dont know if it is going to be more effective using 185 or 225. Good luck
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MOSES25 I have the Sendero in 7mm rem mag. It will do the job with accuracy to spare. I feel it is the best out of the box rifle on the market. Mine has been up against the Weatherby Accu-Mark and the Weatherby couldn't out shoot it!!! All this for about $400-$500 less. Consider this, the large majority of military sniper rifles are built on the 700 rem action. As for the Sendero weighing more than the VSS I don't think this is all together correct, they both have heavy barrels and H&S precision stocks. If there is a weight difference, it is immaterial. If you are going to go out west and do some climbing, then depending on your age and health, you can excercise for a couple months ahead of time and the rifle will be no problem. I think mine with a 4-16x44 Burris only weighs in around 9.5-10lbs. DITTO on the 200 yd groups, she is impressive at long distances. Go for the sendero if you need large caliber and go for the VSS if you only need .243 or some other light skinned game caliber.
  • Options
    DaRoostaDaRoosta Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would look at the new Model 700 Titanium. It comes in .260, .270, 7mm-08 and 30-06. It weighs only 5 1/2 lbs. and is a real looker (if you don't mind the black synthetic stock). The price is a couple bills more than the Sendero's, but I think it would definitely be worth it if you're going to be hunting on any kind of steep terrain. I don't know what you think of the calibers offered or what exactly you'll be using it for, but I would probably suggest the .270 or 30-06, as they are both very versatile calibers and ammo is plentiful.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the imput...it is much appreciated..i guess i could have been alittle more specific for you...weight of the rifle is no concern..i am young enough and healthy enough...and dont plan on climbing anything that would require me to lighten my load to go hunting any time soon...i was thinking of the 30-06 as it is pretty universal and useful...but i wanted to get into hunting bear...thanks agian for your help...moses....
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    30-06 is a good choice and will kill any bear.The Senderos are usually accurate but no more than any other 700.There is nothing different about their mfg,though.They are a factory rifle,no special "hand fitting".Sniper has been listening to the wrong dealer or been reading too many internet posts.I have been to the factory and seen them put together.No different than a P,PSS,VSS,VLSS,etc.No factory group or target testing done there.Just proof and function tests.cpermd
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with SNIPER. The Sendero will outshoot any out of the box rifle which is non-custom as well as all model 700 adl and bdl's. This I have proven time and again at the range. The sendero is different in the fact that it comes with the H&S precision stock which is built around an aluminum bedding block and aluminum pillars for the action screws. This stock is on my many of the guns you will see in competition and deservedly so. It will shoot with the brown precision, mcmillan, and other high end stocks. I have all makes of stocks on my custom guns and have not found the $400-$500 stocks making any better groups. The barrel on the Sendero is fully floated which the standard models are not. They are often free of contact points but not always. I have seen many adl and bdl models with stock/barrel contact right out of the box. This is not the case with the Sendero. There is no custom fitting however, because of the steps H&S went through in the design process. It is truly a competition worthy, drop in stock. BUY IT!
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the 700 in 30-06But the HS stock is on several 700s,not just the Sendero.
  • Options
    LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the cheap synthetic ADL model. Dont look as good as the others but dosent make you cry when you beat it all to hell out in the woods or let it fall off your ATV at 50 mph.
  • Options
    roundballroundball Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have had model 700's in .264 Winchester Magnum and .30-06 for 30 years...without question the best quality factory production rifle for the money on the market;Looks, reliability, durability, accuracy, resale value, etc.Minute of angle accuracy right out of the box for the average shooter;If I could only own one rifle it would be the Model 700 in .30-06 caliber...110 grain to 220 grain loads...has taken every specie of game animal on several continents...you can buy the ammo at every crossroads gas station out in the boondocks anywhere...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks...i'm not looking to competion shoot so if there is little accuracy difference i may go with the less expensive model, until i can outshoot the gun (not likely to happen any time soon) 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch difference shouldn't matter that much. good point lightning...i wont get as mad at myself for any little "bruising" should it happen....thanks agian....