In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Davenport .22 cal rifle

flashbackjackflashbackjack Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
Marked on the round barrel "The Davenport Fire Arms Co. Norwich, Conn U.S.A. Patented Dec. 15, 1891"Lever activated falling block, nickeled receiver,fixed open sights. Walnut checkered stocks with deep crescent brass butt plate(swiss style?)Take-down. Sr.# 4XX Any information would be appreciated. Value ??Its in Good + condition... Thanks, Jack

Comments

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Davenport Firearms Company was originally in Providence R.I. from 1880 - 1882. Later in Norwich, Conn. from sometime around 1890 until 1909-1910 when they were taken over by Hopkins & Allen. The shotguns they had were very well made indeed. If you had 3rd model, I would be all over you like a duck on a June bug trying to get you to sell it to me.Their falling block, single shot rifles were made in .22, .25, and 32 rimfire. They were made between 1891 and 1910. First of all I have never seen one. Secondly in the condition you describe, they are rarer than hen's teeth. I know you are looking at something in the $500 to $1000 range. However, I think you need a profession appraisal. I would contact antiqueDr at www.ApaxEnterprises.com, and let him advise you what to do from there. Alternately, contact CaptKirk, the moderator of this forum at his e-mail address and let him advise you.