In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

paratrooper sks or bulgarian ak?

moses25moses25 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
i own a russian sks and love it...my father shot it and fell in love with it also. he has been looking to buy a rifle for protection...he is a dual citizen and lives in israel for some of the year...he would like one to have over there "just in case" ...no need to say that if that "case" ever happened he would need more firepower than 10 rds top feed could provide...thus the paratrooper vs bulgarian debate...i'm looking for some info to help him in his decision. would the sks be more accurate than the ak?...i would assume that they are both equally reliable, and since both have milled recievers would the accuracy be the same? any input would be appreciated ....thanks for your time...

Comments

• Options
    littleredroosterlittleredrooster Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have fired both rifles extensively and would say that the SKS is a tad more accurate (not much though). The AK has the benefit of those high capacity magazines though, that are quickly detached/reattached. Then again, if you get the SKS "stripper clips" that hold ten rounds and load from the top, they are really fast to reload also if you practise a couple of times. The SKS is probably half the price of the AKBoth guns will fire dirty, wet, dusty or whatever (unlike AR-15/M-16 and all that).
  • Options
    Chief 102Chief 102 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would get the AK, the paratrooper SKS's are all norinco guns that were cut down from the full size rifle. Who knows if the conversion was done right.Just my .02
    Car 54, where are you?
  • Options
    jjce11jjce11 Member Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you can get a russian sks that would be the best choice.