In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Arsenal refinished 1927 Colt Sistema's??

interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
Anybody own one of these babies? I believe they were Colt overseas contract, S.A.? Good shooters, parts interchangeable w/ 1911 A's?

Comments

• Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    I don't own one, but I've seen & shot several.To all of the above, yes. The first couple of thousand were actually remarked Colt commercials, made in the Hartford. The rest were made on Colt machinery, under Colt supervision, in Argentina.They're excellent shooters. IMO, every bit as good as the Colt commercials of the time.
  • Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Sistemas were Colt-licensed 1911s produced in Argentina. Colt could not make enough pistols to satisfy it's contract with Argentina (as mentioned, the first ones were produced in Hartford), so they licensed the design to Argentina. Thus, parts are interchangable with US 1911s.After a while (don't have the dates handy), Argentina began producing pistol based on the 1911 design, but outside of the licensing agreement (i.e., Colt didn't get paid). Still later, the Argentina military made changes to the pistol in order to more economically produce guns. The Ballister Molina was thus created.The Sistemas are excellent pistols. Parts are interchangable, albeit with fitting. Buying a 'drop in' part may require more fitting than with a U.S. 1911, but things do work. I recommend them as a collectible and as shooters, but not as the best candidates for building a custom gun. If this is what you want to do, you are better off with a U.S. gun or a Norinco 1911. Heck, buy an Essex frame and slide from Brownell's and build a custom pistol. Even less expensive, buy a Kimber or Springfield already decked out.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep,really good,solid guns.Made from 1927-1960.Identical to pre-war Colt 1911A1's.Mine is as good a shooter as any of my bone-stock Colt 1911's.Stuck a Chip McCormick combat hammer/sear set,and a lightened trigger,and a Kings drop-in beavertail.Great $300.00 gun.
  • Options
    StarrideStarride Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like mine alot! All the above post seem on target.Ordered mine from CDNN Got a nice example of the refinished ones.Shoots better than myself.In all very pleased. Starride