In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Flaming bomb on winchesters

hitman#1hitman#1 Member Posts: 127 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me what this means? I have seen this on a number of guns

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is the DOD stamp on GI guns
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is meant by DOD
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    DOD is Dept. of Defense. The flaming bomb is the U.S. Ordnance acceptance/property mark. It means that the firearm on which it was found was at one time accepted for service by the US military. However, not all US military weapons bear the mark, and those that do are not all Winchesters. Not too clear, is it? What have you got?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think it is a model 97 12 ga trench gun. It has the flaming bomb and is marked US. Short barrel, not sure if that was factory or not. Now it has what looks like a 4 inch flash hider. Any help on that. I cant see it now but if I remember right it says power pac. Probably a changeable choke[This message has been edited by hitman#1 (edited 11-05-2001).]
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the flaming ordnance bomb mark is applied to commercial guns purchased by the Army and not standard issue service weapons. Examples that I've seen are riot and trench shotguns, 22 target rifles and standard shotguns for Special Services recreational use.