In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

480 Ruger

beattie1175beattie1175 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
Is the new .480 round in the Ruger Super Redhawks superior to the .44mag or .454 Cassull? I'm thinking of purchasing a new super redhawk for deer hunting at ranges of 75yds max. Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    hey guys, in the process of buying a hunting revolver. I'm looking at the Raging bull in 480 Ruger. I'm curious to how accurate this revolver is, and how far i could ethically take Wisconsin whitetails with it. Thanks
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .480 will do the job. So will the .454, the .44 Mag, the .41 Mag, and the .45 Colt (properly loaded in a Ruger).The deer ain't gonna care.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you buy the .480 Ruger, you may want to check into bullet availability. My brother-in-law was going to get one but couldn't find any bullets around here. Many places have the guns but no bullets. Even the gun shows I've been to in the last couple of weeks didn't have any. Go figure.-Marcus
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    It ain't superior to the .454 casull. I would only buy the 480 if you are going to reload because of ammo availability.
    Got Ammo? will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only justification I have heard for the.480 is that it doesn't recoil as hard as the .454. The simple solution to that is to load or buy lighter loads. The .454 seemsto be more versatile in that it can use loadsfrom .45 LC up to the heaviest .454 loads.I would worry that the ammo may be hard to get if it doesn't catch on. One thing that could make a big difference would be ifRuger made a carbine in this cartridge.
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Agree!Boomer
    Protect our Constitutional Rights.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your replys everyone. This is pretty much the way I was feeling about this also. Thanks again.
  • Options
    dustebuttdustebutt Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger 480 the idea behind it was something with more pop than a 44 mag yet gentle on the hand unlike the 454 casull. The only one at this point making loaded ammo for it is hornady. If you are going to load down 454 you might as well get the 480. All the 480 is a cut down 475 linbaugh round so all but brass would be usable in reloading.