In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

They all claim to work...but what really does

VaughnVaughn Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I'm hunting deer in Michigan, 100 yard shots or less. I'm using a .270 and I'm looking for a true rapid expanding bullet. I know that there are Failsafes, Partitions, Ballistic Tips, Core Lokt, Silver Tip, and so on. They all claim to expand rapidly on Deer. Can anyone add to these claims with personal experience. So far I have been told that the 130gr round is better than the 150 gr round due to sectional density in this caliber. Just looking for some real input.Thanks

Comments

• Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used Sierra 130 btsp and Winchester 130 powerpoint both expanded quickly and killed quickly. I have had both these bullets shed their cores on neck-bone and spine hits, however both animals dropped in their tracks.
  • Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For deer, 100 yards or less, IMHO the best choice is the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Use the Ballistic Tip, you can't go wrong on whitetails with that. I use the Ballistic Silvertip and it's just as good but a bit more pricey because of the coating.
    Got Ammo? will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I use the Nosler Balistic Tips. Last year I had a lung shot on a White Tail. When I field dressed it, the bullet expanded so quickly, it turned the lungs to Jello. Good enough for me.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally use the Hornady SST Light Magnums, the deer here can go from 100 to 200 on any given day, and have yet to have a failure with the SST's, I try to recover every bullet so I can study it, all the factors involved, and unless the bullet is traveling at some ungodly speed, a ballistic tip will do the job. In brush less than 50 yd shots I use their BTSP's for fast expansion at higher velocities, I recently bought a Winchester in 300 UM and a box of ammo to zero the gun and break in the barrel, and I have to admit I like them Swift Scirocco's, I recovered them from my wet phone book test and weighed them and they only lost a couple of grains in weight, I wish the would offer them in more calibers than the 3 or 4 they now offer.
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    100 yds !!They all work
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruins too much meat for me. I prefer a more controlled expansion and heavier grain. Hornady is good as well as pointed soft points. But they all will do the job.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cpermd, I'm with you on that one. It has been my experience that most all bullets group with acceptable size for whittail kill shots and they all work. VAUGHN, if you absolutely won't shoot more than that (100yd) save your money, go to wally world and get the Core-lokt 130gr PSP. I have used these in 7mm-08 (which if you check out a balistics table is very close to the .270), .243, .300 SAV, 7x57, 7mm REM MAG, 300 WM, and killed em every time! I use the cheap stuff in the woods where shots are close. In the mean time, spend time on the bench and find out just which PREMIUM brand of bullet your gun likes and keep these for any long distance work (trip out west, invitation to hunt close by state, etc)
  • Options
    TED GARTED GAR Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I RAN INTO A BOX OF REMINGTON BRONZE-POINTS THEY ARENT WORTH A FLIP. I THINK A FULL METAL CASE EXPANDS MORE....THESE THINGS WOULD HAVE TO GO THROUGH A TREE BEFORE THEY EXPAND.