In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Makarov 9x18

just-shootjust-shoot Member Posts: 233
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
J&G up in Prescott AZ is advertising this semi-auto pistol for $109.95 Some time ago I believe they had them for 89.95 and sold out. Is this a good addition to a gun collection/fun shooter or is it just a cheap gun being reproduced in some other country from the original manufacture? Same question on a Walther style PA63 9x18. $89.95Any buyer beware advise is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Which is the best, Russian, Bulgarian, Polish, East German? It looks like the E Germans one are more pricey, why? The others I've found are around $170 - $200, are they worth it? Can anything be done about the double action trigger pull, the ones I have tried are long and hard? Why are the same guns listed as C&R eligible and some not? I know a lot of questions, but never ask never learn. Thanks. Dale
  • Options
    edited November -1
    On the bulgarian makarov 9x18 is this a good protection weapon or just good for plinking any thought on this weapon. How about the ammo very good as far as knock down verses the 9mm.Thanks in advamce. Steve
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a E.German Makarov which I enjoy carrying on trails and for finishing off over-active halibut, but I am not satisfied with the large molded grips that came with it or the pearce rubber wrap-arounds that I purchased later. Does anyone know of a slimmer set of grips that would be better for concealed carry?
    Thanks.
    Dewey

Dewey Jones
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Based on the recommendations of AntiqueDr and (hopefully by now EdD)SaxonPig, both of whom I set considerably store by their opinions, I just purchased a PA 63. It fits my inside the waistband custom holster by Andrews Leather (Alachua, Florida) just like the Walther PP it was made for. I know the Makarov cartridge is a harder hitter than the 380 in the PP. I can't really tell you about its accuracy potential yet as I have not had it out the the bench at the range. However, on my own little 10 yard range out my back door, I know it will run like a Singer sewing machine with everything I have fed it so far. I have two Russian made cartridges - one hard ball and the other hollow point, Sellier & Bellot hard ball, and CCI hollow point. I ran a magazine of each one without any problems.
  • Options
    ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw them in the last week for $99, but cannot recall where. It has been my impression that the Bulgarian Makarovs are excellent guns for the money.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The PA-63 (I have one ) looks like a good little gun for a low price.
    ATF