In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Advice on shotgun for water foul, dove & turkey

Wild WestWild West Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have a beaut. of an Ithaca N.I.D. but it has a 30 inch barrel one is open the other is modified. I can get a 26 inch barrel from Classic Doubles for an arm and leg but I am woundering if I should not just get another shotgun. That Ithaca is so nice though and I hate to leave it on the shelf. I took it skeet-shooting the other day and could not hint the side of the barn if I tried. I have hand guns and a very nice pre-64 Winchester 94 but new to shotguns. Any advice from an old hand would be appreciated. Thanks John West

Comments

• Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wild West I know what it's like to be flying along, minding my own business and somebody starts shooting at me. Happened too many times.Do you mean to tell me you would shoot at a poor little innocent bird?
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wild West, it seems that Peta has reared its ugly head in the form of badboybob(just kidding!). My suggestion would be to look at the Benelli line of 3 1/2" 12 ga. guns to fill your needs for waterfowl, turkeys, and doves. From the Nova pump to the top-of-the-line autos, they will handle anything you feed them. I just bought a Nova for the game you described, and the only shortcoming is the noisy foreend when turkey hunting, and the recoil of a 3 1/2" 12 in a light gun. It isn't a 10, but it's close!!
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DITTO laxcoach, I have a pair of Black Eagle competitions and they are the best I have ever had. Wild West, try looking at the montefeltro series semi-auto Benneli. It is "reasonable" for what some go for. If these are too steep, look at the berreta line of semi's, got one of those also. Little tight at first but after a brief trip to Argentina to shoot.....ooh.....I would say......a couple of dove (thousand that is), it broke in beatifuly and works extremely well also+it's couple hundred less.
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep I love my benelli nova, and m1, if price is a point you might want to try the mossberg 835 I love all 4 of mine just cant beat em for the money...
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ditto GUNNUT, shot the 835 and was impressed. The gun is GOOD for the money! The one I shot was ported, 3 1/2's weren't bad at all.