In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sight rib for the colt 1911

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
Does a sight rib have more or less advantage over standard adjustable sights?What is your opinion of this item and have you had experience with them?

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several 1911s with and without. In my opinion the sight rib is more of an asset for target shooting, and I believe it came into existance during the days when target shooting meant bullseye shooting. The benefits are that the rib offers a flat sighting plane. It is often grooved or sandblasted on the top to break up light reflection. This is not to say that you'll never find one on a pistol set up for combat shooting or use, but they are less common in that application. The .45 I carry for real does not have one.
  • Options
    Police SharpshooterPolice Sharpshooter Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For extremely precise shooting, (like PPC competition) I think the rib is a great advantage. I have the ful rib on my Comp gun and get better results than standard adjustable sights. Wouldn't dream of having one on my "everyday" carry gun. Guess it just depends on what you want to do.. Here's my advice, build one with a rib for the target range and get anoter one with plain sights for carry.