In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Makarov ?? for "Sgtmag13"

duster68duster68 Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
Interesting info. on the Makarov, in the post below. I always thought that everything Russian is better, compared to versions and copies from other countries. I guess this only applies to the SKS. I've always wanted a Makarov, particularly the Bulgie. The trouble is, living in CA., the only ones on the approved list are the PA-63 (not really a Mak.) and the hard-to-find East German. The way around this, as many of you know, is to find a current owner in CA. and do a private party transfer. I've searched far and wide for a CA. Bulgie owner willing to sell, to no avail.Here's my question. I recently found a local dealer selling a Russian on consignment for $280. I almost bought it, thinking that the Russian would be the best Makarov. What is it exactly that makes it inferior to the others? Reliability, fit and finish? By the way, any opinions on the FEG PA-63? They are disgustingly cheap and readily available.Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I owned a Russian Mak until about a year ago, it was made by "Baikal" (sp?) and it appeared to me to be finely finished. I took it to the range and it grouped as well as I could hold. The reason I sold it was because of the abominable trigger pull. This was the first double action self loader I had owned and just couldn't get used to that trigger pull. Other than that I had no complaints.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Russian and I have no problems with the trigger. I don't know if the one you had was D.A.O. but mine fires both ways. The problem you run into with some of these "surplus guns" is that their exact origin and manufacturing process can not be exactly traced. The importers can "make" a gun something that it really was not!!! The true Russian Mak. will perform beautifully when properly broken in. Heres a tip for anyone with any Mak.,... put some valve grinding compound or heavy auto rubbing compound on the slide rails where it contacts the frame and run a couple hundred rounds through it. It will break in nicely and you will see some of it's ammo sensitivity issues disappear. Likewise this process can be done to the polished areas of the trigger and you find that the pull wieght will be reduced and become smoother.
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It wasn't so much the weight of the trigger pull; it touched off at about five or six pounds. It was the long distance the trigger had to move to the rear, even in single action. I don't believe mine was military, it came brand new in box with all the accouterments, and like I mentioned the quality of the finishing was first rate.
  • Options
    Ross C. McDonellRoss C. McDonell Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lapping guns is not a bad thing but. Better to get one of Brownells excellent compounds as valve lap can imbed in the metal and cuase some problems down the road.
  • Options
    110110 Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think everyone here will agree with me that at the price of a brand new MAK you're not going to get a better deal. I have a Bulgarian and I love it. I can honestly say that it is more accurate than my glocks and sigs, and I work for sig! I can overlook the heavy trigger pull on the double action. I even take my MAK with as a back up when I hunt. Can't beat em!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is $280 for a Russian in very condition a good deal? The bulgie is out, unless I find a seller in CA.
  • Options
    sgtmaj13sgtmaj13 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Russian military $400+ on east coast (very rare). Commercials go for $180+. My commercial had a lousy blue job and stripped elevation screw at 1000 rds (no replacement parts). Try makarov.com and wholesalers to import an EG into PRK. Even w/import costs your out maybe $250/275. HTH.SgtMaj13
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. How can I tell if the gun I saw is a military or commercial? What is a PRK? Thanks!
  • Options
    twinstwins Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Peoples Republic of Kalifornia