In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger P90 .45 auto?

NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2004 in Ask the Experts
An acquaintance owns a gun store and can sell me a brand new stainless steel Ruger P-90 for around $380. Any opinions on this pistol? Reliable and doesn't jam?

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    buy it.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Duckhunter: Thanks, I have a smallish "conceal" pistol already so I was looking for something to toss in my car which is legal in Missouri or take along when I go hunting. I like the caliber, I owned a Ruger in .40, and it fit my hand just fine.

I can get a Ruger P-93 stainless in 9mm for the same price but am thinking the .45 is better for what I want...
  • Options
    gunguy30_06gunguy30_06 Member Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i like my ruger p94 9mm.the only gripe i have is the accuracy. it's not an expensive gun so what can you expect. they slide is not very tight on ruger auto, but you get what you pay for.
  • Options
    zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The P-90 is the first handgun I bought when I turned 21. Still have it, get your self a rubber grip from Houge. It gave me 1 chimney in about 3000 rounds and it was a factory load. Never needed any work. The trigger pull is a little heavy, but what factory trigger isn't?

As stated above buy it, it will never let you down.

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824

Made_in_USA_135_Black1.jpg

us-flag1.gif
    IMG_8700145.jpg
  • Options
    mikeh32mikeh32 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a P90 for a few years now. Looks great, shoots great, I've never had any problems with it. Very reliable and well worth the money.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For GunGuy 30 06:

I wonder if it is a quality control issue? I had a Ruger K944 (.40 caliber) that was pretty accurate. Unfortunately I sold it. I wish I had kept it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For zr700: Thanks for the post. This is very helpful. I was looking for a pistol that I could toss in my car, take out in the woods when I was hunting, and would be a reliable self defense pistol, say in the home where concealablility was not an issue.

I began by looking at 1911 style .45's. I did find some in the $450 to $550 range but then I read reports on them (like Gun Test Magazine's report on the Auto Ordnance .45). Then I looked at .45's that got better reviews. The prices starting jumping up to $700 plus. Once I started looking at them, I started thinking I could add a match barrel and do this and do that to make the .45 shoot even better and of course the price went up even more. Then I said wait a minute, I was looking for a reliable large caliber pistol for knocking around with not taking to competitions. And, for the price $380 or even less, it seems the P-90 fills the bill. I still want a high quality 1911 style .45, but I'll have to wait a while until I have that kind of money.

P.S. Your post graphics and pictures are great! Some people say the Rugers are "ugly" but I like the way they look.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mikeh32: Thanks, this is the kind of information I am looking for. I had a Ruger KP944 (.40 cal) sold, it, have a chance to buy it back, but one of my younger brothers wants it and I have bought another .40 since then. I thought about buying the Ruger P-93 in 9mm then got to thinking I might go with the .45 for what I want to use the pistol for. Again, thanks
  • Options
    gunguy30_06gunguy30_06 Member Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for notpars:

i've looked at many ruger auto and they seem to have a slighty looser slide than some other autos. but don't get me wrong, i love my ruger and for the money i think they are a great deal.
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you in the market for a Ruger P-90? Honestly I am not a fan of any Ruger Auto, well except for the MK II target pistols. Firearms is just like anything else, everyone has their own taste. For 380.00 I'd rather find a used Glock myself. Just my 2 cents. [:)]